We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating out in Qawra

Billericay
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Eating out in Qawra

I am booked at the Qawra Palace for a week from 25 Oct, please don't tell me anything bad about it, and would like advice on where to eat locally for a single female, plus any 'must visits'. Willing to hire a car, so any gems off the beaten track would be nice to know about.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating out in Qawra

Parking a car in Qawra in the peak of summer is difficult but end October is OK.

The `must visits` are

The capital Valletta - the medieval capital Mdina -

Birgu/Vittoriosa - Marsalxlokk - Gozo - Zurrieq Blue Grotto - a couple of neolithic temples - Sliema for cafes, shops and harbour cruises

Buses are very cheap and surprisingly efficient but

if you hire a car, quite near Qawra is the area of Wardija and Burmarrad - Zebbiegh, , Gnejna, Manikata near Mgarr - the area between Mosta and Rabat and all round Rabat - the traditional villages like Siggiewi, Gharghur, Zebbug - Mellieha to Ghajn Tuffieha via Manikata

Remember Malta is very small so you can never get really lost and the people are friendly and helpful.

Gozo is tiny so just drive around - the most popular are Xlendi, Marsalforn and Victoria/Rabat

These sites will help you

www.visitmalta.com – the official site. Click on views and downloads for video clips. Also go to the interactive map and click on `towns and villages` you`ll find videos clips and all the info you should need

www.supercities.eu – a SUPER site made up entirely of video clips. Includes video clips of the larger hotels

www.heartofmalta.com – lots of good info with video clips of hotels and localities

www.starwebmalta.com – bars, restaurants etc listed according to locality

www.searchmalta.com - postcards and info

www.heritagemalta.org - details of museums and heritage sights

You can become a Heritage Malta member and enjoy free access to most of the sites and enjoy discounts at museum shops and other benefits.

heritagemalta.org/membership/membership.html

www.101malta.com – faq and good info

www.mymalta.com – a different kind of site

www.holidays-malta.com - subsidiary of Air Malta with good varied info

www.holiday-malta.com – a good side by Euro Resort

www.airmalta.com and www.maltairport.com will give up to date info

www.di-ve.com – a local general info portal

atp.com.mt – regular and direct bus schedules

choosemalta.com/en/about-malta/101-things-to…

www.chevron.co.uk – a lot of info also good calendar of events

www.gozo.gov.mt – the official site

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating out in Qawra

The hotel is ok just typically in a Maltese time warp lol.

You can hire a car next door from Laurence at KWL.

Handy places to eat are Luzzu about 150mtrs away on the coast road (towards the suncrest hotel on the other side of the road) or out of the hotel turn right then right at the first turning at the top you will see the Overflow restaurant.

To go off the beaten track get in your car and head for Dingli Cliffs (towards Mdina on the new road) once on the top cliff road turn right and Bobbyland does very nice food with a lovely view over the expanse of sea and Fifla island. Once eaten go in the opposite direction up to Ghar Lapsi and Wied iz Zurrieq and the Blue Grotto.

You can get about mainly with a "sense of direction" which is just as well as Malta is protected from invasion by removing most of the signposts lol.

That said it's easy to get around and common sense will see you ok. Everyone is helpful should you become navigationally embarrassed.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating out in Qawra

Signposts are slowly improving.

i was once driving from Mosta to Sliema via Naxxar.

The main road was closed and there was a diversion through a new area (where all roads look the same).

I got completely lost and felt such a fool .

travellerBee - don`t get discouraged , it`s not really that bad and you should enjoy yourself exploring.

The places we mentioned should be found in the video clips.

Billericay
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating out in Qawra

First day back at work and missing Malta like mad. Had a great time, nearly walked my feet off. Didn't bother with a car, as everywhere I wanted to visit was so easy to get to by bus. Have got to go back, a week just wasn't long enough, still loads to do. Only complaint, plates just too full in every restaurant I went to - especially the Overflow - I had to walk the promenade route back from Bugibba to the hotel every night to try and counteract all the calories!

Thanks for all the great advice and web links.

Mdina, Malta
Level Contributor
916 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating out in Qawra

may you please give us more details about ur trip.

Billericay
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating out in Qawra

I like history, archaeology and art, so found so much to look at. Plus, I like just wandering around to see what I can find - found this difficult in Mdina and Rabat as many of the locals, being so kind, thought I was lost and kept offering to show me the way to different tourist sites.

I spent 2 whole days exploring Valletta and still didn't get to see everything.

I would say not to bother going to Malta if all you want to do is laze around in the sun - it would be such a waste.

Mdina, Malta
Level Contributor
916 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating out in Qawra

thanks, yes there is loads more to see

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating out in Qawra

Yes travellerBee - it would be a waste just to laze in the sun.

Or, as one famous poster expected, to find all the culture he was looking for in Bugibba.

I feel pretty sure that there are very few, if any, places where you can find such diverse `culture` in such a small area = prehistoric, medieval, Knights of Malta, WW2 - and still have the sea at your disposal.

9. Re: Eating out in Qawra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 15:18
Get answers to your questions about Bugibba
Recent Conversations