We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food shopping & Family restaurants

Which Bugibba hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Food shopping & Family restaurants

Hi all,

Could anyone point me in the direction of a not to pricey supermarket please?

We arrive in Bugibba on the 6th June for two weeks SC, we have a car hire arranged so are ok to travel the island. We have two children 13 & 4 so need some good supplies for breakfasts and lunches, we plan to eat out most evenings so a few family friendly restaurants would be good too.

Thank you

Amanda x

Malta
Level Contributor
109 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food shopping & Family restaurants

The cheapest place on the island re groceries is LIDL. The closest one to Bugibba is in San Gwann.

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food shopping & Family restaurants

Lidl may be cheap, as in UK, but does not have a great variety and is quite a distance from Bugibba. As you have a car I suggest Scotts at Burmarrad on Burmarrad Road. They have a large selection and you could stock up for whole of your holiday. See third location down and view map: www.scotts.com.mt/scotts/content.aspx… There are lots of mini markets in Bugibba as well as greengrocers on street corners. My experience is that most restauarants are family friendly so no worries on that score just look round and see what takes your fancy.

barrow-in-furness
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Food shopping & Family restaurants

Trolleys supermarket just off tourist street by the main bus terminus sells everything you will need at reasonable prices, and a near by restuarant we would reccomend is my rose just round the corner from trolleys on tourist street it newly opened in december 2011 and is a lovely place selling great food we just got home yesterday from a week in buggiba and found both these places satisfied our every need

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food shopping & Family restaurants

Piscopo cash and carry is excellent for value, its near the big roundabout feeding salina Burmaraad and st pauls ... Scotts is also very good in Burmaraad

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food shopping & Family restaurants

for fresh fruit & vegetables buy from the vans much fresher than supermarkets..just ask a local where they would be stationed. I know there was one in Qawra opposite a hotel (name escapes me) but its where the hoponhopoff busses start.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food shopping & Family restaurants

meant also to say ask what days too as not always there. I know it was near the Park Lane Hotel in Qawra but almost opposite is a large carpark & thats where a van was stationed I think Thursday & Fridays. The hotels name still escapes me but something like Santana cant see it on the list of Qawra hotels in TA but it was prominent when I was there in 2009 , cant imagines it closed.

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food shopping & Family restaurants

Santana is correct, still there too and very central.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
594 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food shopping & Family restaurants

Supermarkets near Bugibba, I would recommend TROLLEYS this belongs to the huge French group Carrefour so prices are keen and near the bone, just like Asda and Tescos at home, most people shop here. (they are at this time expanding their premises to double its size). Next as David has pointed out PISCOPOS, this store is Maltese owned, and prices are equally as keen, some more some less, or vice versa very popular and always doing a roaring trade, many restaurants use Piscopos. Next SCOTS in Burmarrad, about a mile out of town, lovely store this one, the WAITROSE of Malta, everything is beautifully presented, their butchery and deli counter, being second to none, and well staffed. The free drinks vending machine upstairs and seating area overlooking the countryside is token Scots hospitality and good will, so if you want the very best you must shop here. the meat counter is outstanding, but you pay Waitrose prices. There are are also many mini stores around for your daily needs. The vegetable stall mentioned, opposite the Santana has apparently been told to move on or hop off!! one has to be careful with some of these outfits, as prices are hardly ever shown, and scale readouts are often hidden, so tend to charge what they like, keep an eye. The very best place to buy vegetables are in the Ta--Qali farmers market based on the old WW2 airfield, open all day Saturday and Tuesday afternoons, you can’t go wrong here. Restaurants. the best for meals during the day, up to 4pm are Quanderos touristi St or the Welcome inn, in Tamar St both give excellent value for money, (note) Quanderos or better known as Ted's closed Tuesdays. Eating out in the evenings can be chancy and expensive, so advise you to check them all out first. See-- restaurant reviews for Bugibba and Qawra Malta, and go from there, I personally use Incognitos, in Qawra for constant quality and cosy surroundings, 3 course meals of the day being best value. hope this all helps, happy holidays KNOWKATS.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Food shopping & Family restaurants

Totally agree with you Knowkats about the 'vegetable stall' I stopped there one day as I was having a hypo (diabetic) and needed some sugar. What a rip off, two bananas for 2 euros but I wasn't in a fit state to tell him where to stick them. Dad looked at me as if to say I'm not paying that and I said just pay him. Not through choice I may add, out of neccessity otherwise I would never have made it back to the hotel.

Edited: 19 May 2012, 16:41
Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
594 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food shopping & Family restaurants

Prices in TA QALI market Saturday 19--05--2012

for Friutyhampshi-- interest, stalls just outside the market are selling best Quality Bananas for 1--50 a kg you get 6 at 24 centimetres long measuring from the outside not including the storks, for that price, of cause with me checking the weight!! otherwise I would have ended up getting 4 LOL, the most I have ever paid is 1--75 kg so as dad & you thought well and truly conned!! but as you say you had to have them, at any price!!. but just goes to show. These other prices will also be of interest to you, and others.

Produce Price in Euros Kg Other

Melons 2 1

Strawberries 4 2

Courgettes 50 cents or 1 for 3

Cucumber 1 1

Tomatoes 1 --50 1

Broccoli 75 -- cents each 7 inch heads Carrots 70 1

Mushrooms 4 1

Spinach 1--30 1

Peppers 1---50 1

Lettuce 50--cents each all varieties

Peas 1--50 1 fresh in pods

French beans 1--75 1

Garlic 1 box

Not much local fruit around at this time of year, imported is expensive, so I eat lots of veg instead, to get my vitamins. Take note, Canned Fish and meat is very expensive in Malta, easy double or more, so those on a self catering deals, bring some in your hold luggage, not cabin they will take it off you. Happy holidays to all. KNOWKATS

Get answers to your questions about Bugibba
Recent Conversations