We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to book excursions?

Birmingham, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Best way to book excursions?

Hi, I am staying at the San Antonio Hotel in Qawra from Oct.5th to the 12th. I want to to book excursions. Should I book via internet in UK prior to travel or will I get a better deal if I wait to get to Malta and if so any suggestions as to where I should book these excursions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Richard.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to book excursions?

What sort of excursions do you want? General stuff or particular interests?

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to book excursions?

I suggest you don't book any excursions as they are all a total rip off, I remember once we went to meet a friend in a hotel in Sliema and while we were waiting I listenend in on a travel bimbo reps speel and was really surprised at not only the lack of real knowledge but the stupid prices they were asking for things one can do for peanuts, instead I reccomend that you buy a good guide book or do plenty of on-line research and print off your interests and buy a local bus 7 day pass and do it yourselves, not only will you enjoy it more but you will do it for a fraction of the cost and you will save many Ewros, alternatively a one day local bus pass will cost you Ewros 2.60 each for unlimited one day travel which means you will save a wopping amount of Ewros compared to the rip off tourist days out prices believe me there is no contest, please note this advice applies to those visiting Malta as well as Gozo, the tourist double decker noddy buses are also a rip off when taking the previous information in to account.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to book excursions?

Should I book via internet in UK prior to travel or will I get a better deal if I wait ?

I would book it on the day as it gives you the option to plan better.

Look up Phil-the-bus for info regarding local bus routes for attractions.

I can never understand how people who do not like a country , come to retire here?

Read the FAQs

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,391 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to book excursions?

Almost across the road from your hotel --- on the corner of the crossroads , called Melody . It is run by alady named Mary and she runs Freestar Tours which are one of the best tour companies at very good prices.

Pop in and see her and pick up a leaflet . She is very nice and she also changes money at a good rate.

Enjoy Malta

Graham

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,391 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to book excursions?

Sorry . badly written I have just walked in after returning from Italy and my brain isn`t working properly..

I should have said that opposite your hotel , on the corner of the crossroads IS A SHOP called Melody

Graham

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
743 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to book excursions?

Hi Richard,

Graham is spot on recommending Freestar at Melody. Mary has the reputation of being reasonable and reliable. Never heard a bad word said against her. She covers all over the island and Gozo, with a running commentary from the driver in most cases. She even provides trips to markets(beat the bus queues)

Have a good holiday.

Graham, how did your Italian holiday go.

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to book excursions?

"I can never understand how people who do not like a country , come to retire here? "

@ 364 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKeoqgIwE3o

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to book excursions?

In the past there have been many guided tours that were rip offs, and generally I would agree with Siggiewi, a good guide book, use the buses, mix with the locals. And some guides are not very good. For example, I still hear the old tale about there being 365 churches in Malta, one for each day of the year. I first heard this 30 years ago, and even as a visitor I know at least 10 new ones built since then!

But in the case of Gozo it isn't as easy, as buses are not as frequent. The HoHo actually takes 2 and half hours for the complete trip (it has to keep going back through Victoria), so even if you timed the next bus right, an hour in Victoria, 30 minutes in Fontana, Xlendi, Dwejra, Ta Pinu and Xaghra, not including other places, plus a lunch stop, and your day has gone.The local guided tours tend to use a minibus with a local driver who is knowledgeable, so do get a good guide book, but consider graham's suggested outlet.

One of the best guide books, full of info about places both well known and off the beaten track, as well as background, with well drawn town maps, is the Cadogan Guide to Malta.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,424 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to book excursions?

I would wait and do some research here. It's not the busiest time and you may be able to knock a few euros of the advertised costs. Some places you will be able to explore via the local buses for sure.

Birmingham, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to book excursions?

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the useful information.

Regards,

Richard H.

Get answers to your questions about Bugibba
Recent Conversations