We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you use hotel pools

Which Bugibba hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Derrytresk, Ireland
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Can you use hotel pools

My family and I will be in Bugibba in August for a week staying in a private penthouse somewhere close to the San Antonia Hotel, Tourist Street (I think). There is no pool attached to the complex and I was wondering if it is possible to avail of any of the nearby hotel pools. Can you just go in without asking, would be willing to buy drinks, food etc. We dont want to seem too forward. Will still swim in the sea but would like to spend an odd few hours around a hotel swimming pool. Any help or information would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you use hotel pools

You would need to check with the hotels since not all pools are open to non residents although some may let you use them for a fee. I believe there is a public lido in Qawra on Coast Road (next to Luzzo restaurant) which may provide what you need.

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you use hotel pools

Most hotel pools are not open to non residents and a few that will let you in will charge a hefty fee, this is especially at the weekends to keep the Maltese out of the hotel. Prior to 2008 the Mellieha Bay hotel used to charge about £30 for the day. At the Radisson at Golden Bay I have seen the security check people down by the pool and eject non residence. The security staff at the Radisson has lists of room numbers and the occupiers names. One year I was challenged and I was a valid resident, the security thought I had come up from the beach!

So my advice is ask before you go in and therefore avoid the embarrassment of being ejected.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
7,964 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you use hotel pools

Not being funny but I don't know anywhere in Ireland that would allow you to walk in and use their pool without asking and most of them would say no if you did ask. I would also object to people walking in off the street and using the pool especially if I had paid for my family to stay in the hotel. You will find that you are not far from a beach in Bugibba and I think some water polo clubs etc that have open days that you can pay in.

Manchester
Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you use hotel pools

There are a number of beach clubs both private and those affiliated to hotels around the St Julians/Sliema area that offer pool/bar/eating facilities at a charge - I believe the over-all charge for a family of 4 to be in the region of 50 euros for the day inclusive of bed and brolly - some offer reduced entry after 3.00pm for what they term half a day.

The best option in my opinion is to pay for a full day at the 'Water Park', the kids will love it.

Valletta, Malta
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you use hotel pools

The answer is no but people come and go every day in hotels so the chances of anything being said is almost nil. Take the chance and enjoy yourself

Ex pat

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you use hotel pools

Jake436

At the Mellieha Bay Hotel they have security on the hotel drive at the weekends to stop non residence entering. Also non residence cannot buy food or drink down by the pool or in the hotel as they do not have the card, everything is cashless.

At the Radisson at Golden Bay the security are often patrol the pool area and not only remove towels that have been reserving sunbeds without the occupants being there, but also ejecting non residence. I nearly got ejected and I was a residence.

Macl1uk

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you use hotel pools

There are lidos with pools i think one called huggy bear in buggiba but i think there are others

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,305 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you use hotel pools

Mac.

The memsahib and I often pop into the Mellieha Bay hotel for a coffee and sandwich.

The palaver with the card is a damned nuisance. We have to order our drink , ask how much it comes to then go to reception ask for a card , pay the exact price then take the card back to the bar and hand it over.

What a waste of time.

It seems a reasonable idea for people staying at the hotel but seems a lot of trouble for a small one off drink.

Perhaps there have been sticky fingers in the till !!!

Graham

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you use hotel pools

Graham I think it is more for the convenience of the hotel guests so that they don't need to take cash to the pool or beach, also cards are waterproof. It is good that the Mellieha Bay offer this facility to non guests rather than stipulating their facilities are for guests only. Sticky fingers may however be part of the reason :)

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you use hotel pools

Graham & Tripalot

When I last stayed at the Mellieha Bay Hotel in 2007 non residence could use the pool but were charged about £30 for the day, this included a snack at the pool bar.

I think the card may have been brought in for two reasons sticky fingers and to stop non residence. Several years ago someone who stayed there once prior to our last visit, returned as a non guest ordered drinks and food and had to leave because they did not have the card.

Macl1uk

Get answers to your questions about Bugibba
Recent Conversations