We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malta in September

Which Bugibba hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Malta in September

Went to Malta over 25 years ago, now going back this September. I've read a lot about how full the buses can be, was wondering what are they like towards the end of September, it is still as busy?

Also, although I cannot remember the name of the small hotel we stayed in in Bugibba, they had a bar called the OK bar, with a little DJ called BABU. Does anyone remember this????

Thanks in advance!

hampshire_UK
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malta in September

September is fairly busy, but slowing down a bit towards the end. The situation with buses is fairly fluid at the moment as Arriva pulled out of their contract at the end of 2013 and buses as temporarily being run my the government pending appointment of a new operator. They are still hoping to get a new contract and new timetables in place for the start of the summer, but whether or not that happens is anyone's guess. A big part of the problem last year with overcrowding was caused by the withdrawal of bendy buses which reduced capacity on many busy routes and they still have that situation despite bringing some older buses back into service. I didn't find it too bad at the end of September last year, but there were people left at bus stops on busy routes as buses were filling up at the start of the journey. When I was there in January, there were no real problems but it was low season. So - not a lot of help to offer, but a lot of encouragement, Malta is still a fantastic place to visit and you are unlikely to have any problems that affect your enjoyment.

Can't think of the hotel you mean, but I see to recall an OK bar but can't think where - sorry.

Have a fantastic holiday.

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
743 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Malta in September

Hi Scouselady,

The bus situation in Malta at present is very bad. Most of the buses going to the popular destinations are overcrowded with standing room only, and we are not into the busy holiday season yet. In my area, Bugibba, we find it best to catch a bus at the terminus in Qawra. Also, trying to catch a bus in St Paul's Bay in the summer even before Arriva pulled out was almost impossible as the buses are full with people either coming from, or going to Mellieha. In most cases the buses don't stop and this is not only on rare occasions. The extra transport Malta Transport have provided range from full size coaches to mini buses, and, if you are coming from the airport with a suitcase, it is very rare if a driver helps to load the cases into the bays of the coach. A great deal of improvement will be needed to provide an adequate service for the summer.

Edited: 12 March 2014, 12:50
3. Re: Malta in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 04:27
Get answers to your questions about Bugibba
Recent Conversations