We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

topaz or canifor hotel for a family of 3?

Which Bugibba hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
93 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
topaz or canifor hotel for a family of 3?

Hello, I am trying to choose a nice and cheap hotel in bugibba. Has anybody stayed at Topaz or Canifor hotels? Which one is best for families with toddlers?have they got any play areas?

Many thanks,

Diana

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,715 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: topaz or canifor hotel for a family of 3?

Both hotels are fairly cheap budget hotels,that are 4 star,just remeber in Malta star ratings are not like uks,so probarbly more like a 3 star,both have indoor and outdoor pools,and bars,rest,cafe,snack places etc,both have children's pools but no mention of play areas,but canifor does have a games room,the topaz is a 10/15 min walk downhill to front and square,uphill back,the canifor 5/10 min walk and more flat,both look very nice,but id go for canifor for location is slightly better than topaz,ive not stayed at either but have stayed canifor apts which you eat at hotel and the food was ok,cant comment on topaz but graham a regular on ta spends 2/3 months at topaz each year and in sure if the food was no good he wouldn't keep returning,hope this helps

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,567 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: topaz or canifor hotel for a family of 3?

Yorkshiregirl is correct that I spend 10 or 12 weeks per year over winter at the Topaz.

Earlier this year it was closed down and is undergoing some refurbishment and I am led to believe that the catering arangements are being changed and the food is tied up with the Dolmen Hotel which was part of the same group.

However it is difficult to say what it is now like as I haven`t been since the refurb.

I always enjoyed my stay there and found the location to be good.

A short walk from the front door leads to the main Mosta road with buses to Mosta , Valletta etc and straight to Mellieha and Gozo ferry,

May I suggest you have a word with CHOICE HOLIDAYS , They have a FREEPHONE NO.

0800811 9025.

They do some excellent deals ---- costs nothing to talk to them --- the free call goes right through to Malta.

Graham

hampshire_UK
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: topaz or canifor hotel for a family of 3?

Although there are no reviews on TA for the Topaz since they re-opened, there are elsewhere ( I won't advertise them here), and they are not good. Food seems to be a major issue.

uk
Level Contributor
93 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: topaz or canifor hotel for a family of 3?

Thank you so much for advice

uk
Level Contributor
93 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: topaz or canifor hotel for a family of 3?

Thank you

St.Julians-Malta
Level Contributor
816 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: topaz or canifor hotel for a family of 3?

I had weekend breaks in both Topaz ans Canifor hotels and even in Topaz under it's new Management ... as said price and value are of a 3 star hotel ... But still in my opinion for same the price I choose Topaz ...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: topaz or canifor hotel for a family of 3?

Im a Canifor man, had happy stays at both but the location of the Canifor wins hands down, foods fine, rooftop Jacuzzi, wider choice of bars also the Topaz has rooms which are in an annexe part of the hotel and are therefore a bit of a drag to reach, that said, both are sound hotels......av a guddun!..

Derby
Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: topaz or canifor hotel for a family of 3?

I have never stayed at the Topaz but have stayed at the Canifor. Never again! Having said that I went on a self-catering basis so cannot comment on the hotel rooms.

8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: topaz or canifor hotel for a family of 3?

We stayed at the topaz first week in june and were VERY disappointed as the hotel claims to have had a complete makeover. The sad truth however is that it has had very little done to it since our last stay in 2012. Still the same tired decor and furnishings(except in reception) still the same low quality food and service, and obviously its still in the same place.

Because of our disappointing experience I have been looking at reviews of the Topaz since it reopened and was very surprised to see that they fall into 2 very distinct groups.

Firstly there are lots of 1-3 star reviews from experienced reviewers from different parts of the world.

Then there are even more reviews from "members" registered as being from malta who have only just joined the site and who only done the one review. These reviews are all 5star all the way and full of superlatives proclaiming the topaz to be the best thing since sliced bread, everything apparently is "fantastic", "perfect", "outstanding", "without equal" etc etc etc.

IMHO all of these reviews are VERY VERY suspicious and bear no relation to our experience at all.

So in conclusion all I can say is that the topaz is not all that the alleged reviewers on here would have you believe and I wouldn't recommend it at all.

St.Julians-Malta
Level Contributor
816 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: topaz or canifor hotel for a family of 3?

What I can say is this .. for the very fussy people and for those who afford expensive 5 star hotel I say look for a more classy hotel,still I belive these will still find something to complain about ... But for those with a low budget and are thinking about Topaz Hotel this is the best of them all ... A hotel with indoor and big outdoor pool, night entertainment, Nice Pub, clean rooms and done daily with reasonable buffet breakfast and lunches and dinner .The hotel is classified 4 star but it's rates are not those for a 4 stara hotel. Rates for example are as cheap as the rate of a small guest house without any facilities BB in UK .... I never stop saying one cant look for lowcost hotels and still pretend a 5 star service .. to make your holiday great go in such hotels with one thing in your mind and that is you are only expecting Value for money that you payed . With this in mind sure that no one will have to complain after. Happy Weekend

Get answers to your questions about Bugibba
Recent Conversations