We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting from RV drop-off in Manassas to Washington DC

Which Manassas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, England
Level Contributor
691 posts
511 reviews
Save Topic
getting from RV drop-off in Manassas to Washington DC

Hi everyone - we would be grateful for some advice, please. Apologies if this is a bit complicated.

We're just planning details for a "trip of a lifetime" holiday and I'm stuck on this next step:

We will be dropping off a rental RV at the Cruise America depot in Manassas on a Monday in mid November. We will have quite a lot of luggage, because we will have arrived in the USA 2 weeks earlier off a cruise ship. 3 suitcases and our carry-on bags.

We need to get to Washington, DC where we have rented an apartment for a few days before we fly back home to England.

I'm trying to find the most convenient / economical way to get from the CA depot to our apartment (which is near Union Metro Station). We won't be in a rush because we have to drop off the RV early in the morning and we can't get into our apartment until 3pm.

Cruise America don't offer a transfer (I'm told) so I'm wondering whether it would be practical to get a cab to Dulles airport and then use the Metro from there. I've never been to Washington, so am not familiar with the Metro system. Would it be a direct journey to Capitol station? I imagine that it wouldn't be practical to use public transport (if any exists) to get to the airport..

I had thought that as we have spare time, we could have lunch at the airport before travelling into town.

Or are there any better options?

Thank you for any advice.

12 replies to this topic
Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: getting from RV drop-off in Manassas to Washington DC

To be relatively close to your morning destination, I would look into camping the night before at one of the Northern VA Regional Parks. Bull Run would be closest; I'm pretty sure there's a dump station at Pohick Bay which isn't too far away either. I don't know if they are still open in November, but you can contact them and find out.

www.nvrpa.org/park/pohick_bay/content/camping

Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: getting from RV drop-off in Manassas to Washington DC

You might consider dropping the RV in Richmond since you are coming from the south. The drop spot is a service station on Broad St just a few miles from the Staples Mill Amtrak station where you can catch a train to Union Station. You can check the CA website for a link to the drop off location. They have been in business a long time, although I don't have personal experience with them. I have no idea whether you would pay a premium to drop off at a place that is not a CA hub. You would probably still need to arrange a taxi to the train station. Unless you specifically wanted to visit Manassas, this would spare you the often unpleasant drive from Richmond to DC area.

Reply to: getting from RV drop-off in Manassas to Washington DC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted