We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wealthy attractive town resorts to speed traps

Boston...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wealthy attractive town resorts to speed traps

Why is it that such a wealthy attractive town as Woodstock feels the need to pull over tourists who are driving liesurely through town, tell them that they were exceeding the posted speed of 25 and slap them with $150 tickets? This is a speed trap in anyone's book, it ticks off people who would otherwise spend money in town but who now will depart annoyed and with a permanent dislike for the place. Clearly in the case of very mild violations such as this, a warning suffices and will give open-minded visitors a better impression of the place.The WPD needs to prioritize its procedures and evaluate the worth of running such a trap.

I will avoid the town hereafter and will tell others to also avoid it.

Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
705 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wealthy attractive town resorts to speed traps

Yes, sadly this is a (locally) well-known fact, that speed limits (and parking meters) are strictly enforced in Woodstock. Re the speed limit -- there have been pedestrians and drivers killed on route 4 (which is the main road through Woodstock) which is v windy, not wide, and people often drive too fast for conditions -- which may be one reason the speed limit is enforced in the village.

Edited: 26 May 2017, 20:05
Chesapeake City...
Level Contributor
359 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wealthy attractive town resorts to speed traps

People get mad if there's no police presence, people get mad if there's too much police presence. Can't win. It is a shame to cross an entire beautiful town off of your list due to your own actions.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Wealthy attractive town resorts to speed traps

Thanks for the heads u p. But I'm very sorry this happened. My husbands a lawyer, but probabl wouldn't help.

Level Contributor
66 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wealthy attractive town resorts to speed traps

Sorry but if you were even doing 26 mph you were speeding.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wealthy attractive town resorts to speed traps

I drive through there fairly often and the speed limits are well marked. Stinks to get a speeding ticket, I know, especially on vacation.

Hanover, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wealthy attractive town resorts to speed traps

I agree. I have been a patron of many Woodstock businesses including restaurants, shops and the spa at the Woodstock Inn. The town is basically a police state. If you are going to Killington or elsewhere in Vermont, avoid Woodstock.

Quincy...
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wealthy attractive town resorts to speed traps

I honestly do not see what you are complaining about... Obey the rules and don't get ticketed as simple as that.

Woodstock isn't the grand prix, don't speed and you'll be fine.

I go through woodstock often and know not to speed or else you'll be ticketed.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wealthy attractive town resorts to speed traps

I couldn't agree more that speed traps are unfair and a bad, bad policy for any law enforcement agency in Vermont. There are a few local police forces in the state known to do this under the guise of safety, and of course safety is important, but let's get real. These small police forces consisting of a few cops need all the revenue they can get to keep their jobs funded. When a cop hangs out right at the transition from 50 to 30 mph as the highway comes into town, and catches someone doing 40 who hasn't slowed down in time, and the signage may not be that great, and the person just so happens to have out of state plates and is unfamiliar with the roads, but is otherwise driving safely and not creating a dangerous situation, then it's just really unfair to write that person a ticket. I wish there was something that could be done. If you feel like taking the time, write a letter to the Woodstock town manager. https:/…

Hanover, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wealthy attractive town resorts to speed traps

Exactly. This is not about reckless driving in my case. I am like "driving Miss Daisy." This is a clear case of raising revenue by entrapping individuals. This is not about public safety in any way, shape or form. I will say that I actually did not receive a ticket but suffered abusive behavior that I won't describe for fear of retaliation. I can't imagine the results if I were not the typical old, white driver that one expects in this town.

Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
705 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wealthy attractive town resorts to speed traps

Actually Woodstock is fairly multicultural compared to some places in Vermont. But they do enforce the speed limit.

Get answers to your questions about Woodstock