We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas 2017 in Woodstock

2 posts
2 reviews
Xmas 2017 in Woodstock

Hi,

We are 2 children (9+10) and 2 adults travelling form Australia to Woodstock for our first white Xmas! We arrive 22nd Dec for the Xmas period.

We'd like to purchase and decorate a Xmas tree in the place we are staying, The Shire. I understand that the trees are sold on the street corner, where do we buy decorations from? Once we check out, is there somewhere to donate the decorations to? I feel like a waste throwing it away, any suggestions?

Does someplace hire snow sleds in Woodstock?

I've got groceries shopping at Macs & Woodstock Farmers Market

Food: Angkor Wat, Ruths Kitchen & Pi

Things to do/see. Billings farm, Sugarbuss farm, Marsh Billing Rockefeller.

Are there any other things that you can recommend? Thanks so much for your time.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Xmas 2017 in Woodstock

Christmas decorations can be found at many places. You will also need a stand for your tree. Will you be renting a car? Getting around outside the village without a car is almost impossible.

By far the biggest selection of decorations will be found at the Wal-mart in West Lebanon NH, which is less than 1/2 hour from the Shire. West Lebanon is the shopping hub for both central VT and NH with supermarkets, fast food, and big box stores. Another idea is getting your decorations and such at a thrift store. There are two big ones - one is in Bridgewater, the other in White River. Sleds will probably be found in both stores and of course in Wal-Mart. If you are not driving, your options will be less, but I suspect Gillingham's would have what you need.

Your restaurant choices sound great. Other things to do -

Gillingham's store in downtown Woodstock is a must.

Stroll thru the beautiful Woodstock Inn with it's massive fireplace, christmas decorations, pub, etc.

If you have a car, the college town of Hanover NH is another fun town to walk around - lots of very good restaurants.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
3,130 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Xmas 2017 in Woodstock

Check with the place you are staying to make sure they are ok with a christmas tree in the room. They can be kind of messy and cumbersome to get in and out depending on how big you go.

Personally, I would really really Really avoid Wal-mart in the days leading up to Christmas. It is not a pleasant experience.

If I was you, I'd find a couple special ornaments in a local store, that I could put on the tree and then take home as a memory of the trip. Then, do something easy to add extra decoration to the tree, like stringing popcorn on thread or making pinecone ornaments. I'm sure google has many home-made disposable decorations that could give you an afternoon of fun.

If there is no snow on the ground in Woodstock -- I hope I'm not the first one breaking the news to you that we don't always have a white christmas -- then check out some ski resorts you can visit to do winter activities and play in the man made snow. Killington is one option.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
383 reviews
3. Re: Xmas 2017 in Woodstock

G'day Kimberley, You'll need to go to West Lebanon as has been suggested as Woodstock will only have a very limited selection of decorations but as has been mentioned try Gillinghams in the village. At that time of year the only place in the village you might still get a fresh tree is the Woodstock Farmers Market just west of the village along route 4, OR if the Rotary club has any left over which they sometimes do, they will be on sale at the Recreation centre on route 4 on the western edge of the village opposite the very yellow Woodstock Inn. This is also on route to the Farmers Market.

For food on Christmas Day the only place open will be the Woodstock Inn.

For snow sledging you can go just north of the village to the old Suicide Six ski tow and sledge there and Gillinghams usually have affordable sledges to buy.

You may care for a sleigh ride either at Marsh Billings farm in the village of 6 miles south via the Kedron Valley stables,

As has been mentioned Killington will give you snow if mother nature is slow!

May I be the first to say Happy Christmas!

David

2 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Xmas 2017 in Woodstock

I just wanted to say thank you all for your responses.

We are hiring a car so will be able to get around.

I adore the idea of buying good quality xmas decorations and posting them home, what a wonderful suggestion. Thanks.

The owner is aware and happy for us to have a xmas tree up.

I'm going to ignore that there may be a possibility of no snow, thats just not acceptable! :-)

Merry Christmas to you too David!

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
676 posts
69 reviews
5. Re: Xmas 2017 in Woodstock

If you have time to drive to Weston (a little under an hour), the Vermont Country Store would be a fun place to visit at Christmas, with an old-time nostalgia atmosphere, and you might find a few of the special ornaments to take home as a memory. It's not really the place to find decorations for the whole tree, though, because their items are higher quality and therefore higher priced than what you'd find at a typical store. Their Bryant House Restaurant next door is also very nice for a meal. Check their website for hours and details. (I haven't been there at Christmas so I don't know how crowded it is, but they have a large parking lot. I usually do some Christmas shopping from them online.)

https:/…christmas-shop

https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/stores

Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
779 posts
108 reviews
6. Re: Xmas 2017 in Woodstock

If you are in Weston, Weston Priory, a small Benedictine monastery known for the brothers' music, is on rte 155 just north of the village. Visitors are welcome at their services, and they also have a little store that sells books, music recordings and crafts. It's a very peaceful place to spend some time.

7. Re: Xmas 2017 in Woodstock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2018, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Woodstock
Recent Conversations