We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of year to hike around Taftsville

Port Townsend...
4 posts
2 reviews
Best time of year to hike around Taftsville

Hello...looking for some local weather expertise. We're hoping to hike around some family property sometime between March - May and are trying to figure out the best time of year to book. We're hoping to come at a time where foliage is still somewhat light but the ground is firm. I follow several local businesses on social media & it looks like there was still snow on the ground at the end of March last year. My husband was born there but hasn't been back in many years and we know that if the area is anything like the Pacific Northwest our weather patterns have changed over the years and our seasonal weather predictors are generally off by several weeks to months....thank you in advance!

7 replies to this topic
Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
779 posts
108 reviews
1. Re: Best time of year to hike around Taftsville

There could still be snow in March and April, and they usually want people to stay off the trails as long as there is mud to avoid damage to the trails. May may be ok. The leaves aren't really fully out until mid-May, and the wildflowers will be out and the songbirds returning.

Port Townsend...
4 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Best time of year to hike around Taftsville

Thank you so much! I'm so glad I asked. This is family property without a lot of trails & roads so I think we may regret it if we go any sooner than May.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
3,130 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Best time of year to hike around Taftsville

Usually there's a pretty small window of time between the snow melting at the end of March and mud season in April and May, but that window shifts from year to year and there are no guarantees of anything. We've had 80 degrees and sun and mud season in mid-March, and winter that lasts well into April. If I had to book this trip now with the goal of hiking and surveying unfamiliar land in Vermont, I'd shoot for the last week of March or the first week of April. Some residual snow on the ground over a frozen ground, is generally better than full on mud. Late May could work as well, but the leaves will be out making it harder to survey any forested areas, and the black flies can be fierce, and it can still be muddy. Probably the best time of year to do this would be late October or early November when all the leaves are down and snow has not fallen yet.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,993 posts
1 review
4. Re: Best time of year to hike around Taftsville

As far as the months you have to choose from go: As late as possible, and bring bug spray.

Edited: 15 August 2018, 13:53
Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
383 reviews
5. Re: Best time of year to hike around Taftsville

Afternoon CorriB,

Agree...come mid to late May.

Port Townsend...
4 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Best time of year to hike around Taftsville

Thank you so much for your response. I mentioned the flies to my husband & he had immediate childhood flashbacks.

Port Townsend...
4 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Best time of year to hike around Taftsville

Thank you everyone...your feedback is invaluable to us. We're going to cross our fingers & book for the end of May. I may visit this board with more questions prior to our trip.

Reply to: Best time of year to hike around Taftsville
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Woodstock
Recent Conversations