We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woodstock or Stowe?

Which Woodstock hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
38 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Woodstock or Stowe?

Hi, I live in NC, and I'm planning my first trip to Vermont. Which town is more quaint--Woodstock or Stowe? I am trying to decide between the Woodstock Inn and Trapp Lodge or Stone Hill Inn in Stowe. This is a surpise trip for my husband's birthday. We'll be there in mid-Dec. Will there be enough snow for skiing? Please let me know the pros and cons of both of these towns. Thanks for your help!!

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woodstock or Stowe?

Good evening passionoradventure,

Woodstock is THE quaint Vermont village full of historic buildings, award winning restaurants and if there is no natural snow Killington will have been making snow as soon as it starts to freeze at night (usually late November) assuming you want downhill sking? Suicide Six skin run near the town does not usually open until late December as they make less snow.

Whilst I think the Woodstock Inn is a fine establishment do not rule out considering some of the smaller inns & B & B's (use Trip Advisor as your guide) which may offer better value for money and more individuality. Check out the town web site at www.woodstockvt.com and try and be here for December 8/9 which from memory is Wassail weekend in the village, a big New England event with parades and various events around the village.

Hope this helps...and Stowe has attributes but i think that Woodstock is without argument a far more photogenic village.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woodstock or Stowe?

I agree...Woodstock is the definition of quaint.

Stowe is great too....lots and lots to do, especially if you are an outdoors person (hiking, biking, etc). Trapp's is gorgeous - it's out of town so you'd need to drive places, whereas the Woodstock Inn is right in town so you can walk places.

I don't think you could go wroing with either one. Is there a way you could do both?

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woodstock or Stowe?

Whilst the Woodstock Inn, Trapp family Lodge and Stone Hill are great choices with wonderful facilities and reputations for service I don't think they could really be described as quaint. (i.e charmingly odd and old fashioned) If "quaint" was really what you were looking for it may be worth considering some of the smaller less touristy villages and towns. Regarding skiing I would suggest you check out Okemo (www.okemo.com) in South central vermont a wonderful mountain with 624 acres of terrain, 97% covered by snowmaking (605 acres) and 18 lifts They have an enviable reputation for grooming and guest service. While Ludlow is typical ski town during winter there are some wonderful quaint villages within 15 minute drive. Consider Chester, Grafton, Weston etc. There are many high quality bed and breakfast Inns that will give you the luxurious amentites you expect from a high end resort but with the personal service you can only get from a B&B. Lodging information can be found on www.okemo.com www.discoverokemo.org or www.chesterlodging.com and of course, tripadvisor.com

4. Re: Woodstock or Stowe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2007, 14:58
5. Re: Woodstock or Stowe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 22:16