We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston House or Village Inn of Woodstock?

4 posts
Save Topic
Charleston House or Village Inn of Woodstock?

Hi,

I'm about to make a reservation for December but I can't decide on which inn I want to stay...Can anyone help me! They both have good reviews, Charleston House and Village Inn...

I want to be in the center of town (walking distance to shopping & restaurants) and wake up to the best breakfast in town. I will be staying only one night (driving from Stowe Area) with my husband.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

1. Re: Charleston House or Village Inn of Woodstock?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2008, 20:02
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Charleston House or Village Inn of Woodstock?

David,

I can't thank you enough for your response! It's exactly what I was looking for. I will absolutely post a review.

Have a great night!

Woodstock VT
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Charleston House or Village Inn of Woodstock?

Hello 07677,

I am the owner of The Village Inn of Woodstock, and am very flattered by your interest in staying with us. I just want to let you know that DavidBignose is a competitor of mine, and has never been inside of my inn nor has he had breakfast here. His knowledge of our inn is limited to what can be seen on the internet. We are a very Victorian inn, but we don't have one piece of lace in the inn, in case you were worried by this characterization of our inn. You can make your own judgment about our decor from our website. Also, we certainly allow one night stays in December, except for Wassail Weekend, and Christmas week. I hope that you enjoy your visit, wherever you stay. I don't think that you will have anything less than a wonderful experience at any of the lovely places to stay in town. If you don't choose to stay with us, I invite you to stop in just to say hello and see the Inn for yourself. Have a wonderful day!

Evelyn

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charleston House or Village Inn of Woodstock?

Good evening 07667 & Villageinnwoodstock,

As has been mentioned I am the co-owner of a lodging business in the village, which I am sure you knew if you had looked at my profile on TripAdvisor. However any comments I contribute to the TripAdvisor forums are placed as a neutral individual and I take great care to offer fair and balanced advice.

I do base my advice on what I have researched on the net, in guidebooks, personal knowledge and also what travellers and Trip Advisor posters write. I think the comment on the inn not having lace is not correct according to the pictures of room 6 on the properties web site, where lace is very present around the bed. If the picture is indeed not current then this would explain my error.

Should you want more advice on which abode to reside in then I suggest that you call them both and ask them to explain what they see as their differences!

The other place you might care to consult is the Woodstock Chamber of Commerce and of course any listings you can find from travel professionals whether they be internet or guide book based.

The main point is I hope you find the lodging that suits your needs and that you have a great visit to Woodstock.

Woodstock VT
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Charleston House or Village Inn of Woodstock?

Hi DavidBignose,

I find it amusing that we are down to one room that has what you describe as "loads of lace and frills". Your description was about our whole inn, not one room. We are very Victorian indeed, as befits a Queen Anne Victorian building, and as can be seen on our website. We make no apologies for being Victorian, for cooking a 3 course breakfast to order (including fresh squeezed orange juice, local produce, fresh baked breads and pastries by me, and a cooked to order breakfast, featuring the entree of the day, or eggs prepared to your liking, or my homemade granola, by David, my husband.) So sorry that this does not appeal to you, but our 7 plus year history with guests shows to us that this is appealing to our guests. The bed treatment in room 6 that you refer to is a classic fish net canopy, hand tied by Amish women, designed in Williamsburg, Virginia. This design actually predates our inn, by almost 100 years. It is not lace, it is a fishnet canopy. The photo is completely accurate, we take great pride in showing our rooms exactly as they are. Again, I am not sure what you are referring to as "loads of lace and frills". I would ask that you confine your opinions to things that you actually are familiar with, or have experience with. Just reading about us on TripAdvisor, and looking at our website, gives you no more insight than anyone else, and hardly qualifies you as an expert.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charleston House or Village Inn of Woodstock?

Hello 07677,

I have not been to Charleston House, however my wife and I stayed at the Village Inn in March of this year. You can read my review of our stay in their reviews, but I can only reiterate that we felt their offering was superb. I travel extensively with work and don't review anywhere near as many trips as I should do, but I made certain I reviewed my stay at the Village Inn. In the last few months, I have stayed at 5 star hotels in Barcelona, Cologne, New York, Amsterdam and London. While the Village Inn is obviously not a hotel, in all these top end city hotel stays, I didn't once sleep in a bed as comfortable as the one I had at the Village Inn. In addition, there are not many hotels that offer gourmet breakfasts of the kind we had at the Village Inn.

Trip Advisor has never let me down yet when selecting somewhere to stay and I'm sure you can't go wrong with either of your two choices.

As for the other comments in this thread, I can glean enough to ascertain that Davidbignose! has commented on the decor of the Village Inn, and with the quote "loads of lace" implied a certain lack of style or modernity. For me, it's all relative. I don't visit a place with Woodstock's history without expecting to find sympathetic restorations of a classic look. In the case of the Village Inn, they've restored a classic property which exudes luxury. In terms of modern amenities, the suite we had came with 2 LCD flat panel televisions and a cool and modern marble bathroom.

I would also say that some of Davidbignose!'s advice is slightly disingenuous. I don't believe that on Trip Advisor I should have to visit a contributor's profile to find out that they own an establishment in the location in question. Reading this forum reveals he sometimes refers to his own property in a manner that doesn't entirely make it clear that he owns it. For example, in another thread someone asks about minimum night policies at peak times in Woodstock. Davidbignose! replies, "Try the Shire motel in the village as most B & B's/Inns have a minimum weekend stay, but I know the Woodstocker Inn does not."

Is it clear in that response that the poster is referring to, and to an extent, recommending his own establishment? Should I have to visit his profile to find that out? While that is not really in the original spirit of Trip Advisor in my opinion, commenting on other properties without disclosing you compete with them is absolutely against the spirit and original intent of Trip Advisor.

I felt strongly that I should respond to this thread as the overriding feeling we had after our stay at The Village Inn was one of a fantastic boutique hotel style B&B run by exceptionally hard working and kind people.

Enjoy your stay in Woodstock 07677 wherever you stay, but I'm sure you could not fail to be impressed by the Village Inn.

7. Re: Charleston House or Village Inn of Woodstock?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 13:21
Get answers to your questions about Woodstock