We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olive oil tasting in Grazalema?

St Neots, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Olive oil tasting in Grazalema?

We will be in the area and would like to taste and purchase fine olive oil. Does anyone know where we could arrange a tasting? Preferably in Grazalema, but would drive to Zahara. We are coupling this with lunch to follow immediately after the tasting, then on to Ubrique for PM leather shopping. We are not really Interested in touring a pressing factory, nor do we want to be part of a company organized group.

Thanks for any input.

6 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,656 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Olive oil tasting in Grazalema?

In Grazalema you should visit the Information shop and ask the very knowledgeable people about locally produced olive oil. The nearest mills may be at Algodanales = refer :

http://www.algodoliva.com/web/index.php/en/

and at Zahara there is an old mill and press ( Almazara ) but am not totally sure if it is still used !

A little further away at Espera they have a tradition of pressing local olive oil producers fruit and they have now a modern mill just to the north of the small town and there is a shop in the town selling it. Have a look at:

http://www.molinodeespera.com/aceite.html

although the mill pictured is the old style one and the new plant is very modern.

St Neots, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Olive oil tasting in Grazalema?

Great, thank you for the info. I did find a couple around Zahara, but it is a little out of the way. We would be driving from El Puerto dSM, to taste oil in the AM, make a lunch reservation for 1300 in Grazalema, and make it to Urbrique by 4 pm or so. shops should be open til 7 oir so in Ubrique, no? I little ambitious for a day, adn we could end up diviving Ubrique into its own day. Do yo think it is worth it?

Thanks again.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,656 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Olive oil tasting in Grazalema?

Well of course it would be great to have more time but you can do it. The drive from El Puerto is a little annoying heading to Arcos and the East because going through Jerez can be confusing and slow, so I usually take the road heading for the Algeciras road going through El Portal south of Jerez then join the motorway heading for Seville and you can access the East quickly. There is a fine dual carriageway going past Arcos and if you can spend time take the road into Arcos and you will have a few views of the old town on the cliff. And catch glimpses of the highest point in Cadiz Province El Torreon which dominates the landscape near Grazalema and around.

Ubrique is worth visiting in my opinion and later in afternoon should be good after 5pm or in mid summer maybe a bit later. Nothing is open at 4pm except bars and restaurants.The road between Grazalema and Ubrique passes through a small village called Benaocaz which is one of my favourite places for simple lunch. So if you can stave off hunger until 2pm or even later try the Las Vegas bar restaurant in the centre. Simple but good.

St Neots, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Olive oil tasting in Grazalema?

Sorry for all the typos on my last post....I hate typing on an iPad.

Am familiar with the El Portal road. We have been to Arcos before and will skip it this time around. Benacoaz sounds interesting...we are looking for a formal lunch spot...I was thinking Meson el Simancon in Grazalema....do you know of it?

Also, do you have any dining recommendations in el Puerto? Something with an above average wine list?

Thanks again.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,656 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Olive oil tasting in Grazalema?

Frankly I do not visit Andalucia to dine well or expect cuisine of major city standards although there are some better places I agree. Formal dining could well be at the place you mentioned in Grazalema which is in the same area as the information centre. Another place that could have a wow factor is the hotel down at Benojan called Molino del Santo -- its not too far away from Grazalema and you may decide to go to Ubrique via Cortes and pass through the northern end of the Los Alcornacales cork oak park. Bit of a twisty road but OK if you like that kind of thing.

For El Puerto I have not dined out for some time except at my favourite bar near the ferry where you get some nice fish so cannot recommend anywhere with fine wine list however would expect the Faro restaurant to be well up there in that league and you should study the reviews:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187434-…

I did go once to Faro and it does have a long standing good reputation in Puerto.

Edited: 14 June 2013, 13:35
St Neots, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Olive oil tasting in Grazalema?

Great, thank you for the info.

Reply to: Olive oil tasting in Grazalema?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted