We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips

scottish borders
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trips

We are now on countdown(9 weeks) to our holidays staying at le paradis & looking forward to alternate days sightseeing & vegging by the pool,bliss!!

My husband would like to try & visit Gibraltar for the day,to relive some hazy naval memories.Is this possible in a day or would we be better stopping the night somewhere?

Thanks in anticipation for any advice as I don't think I have looked forward to a holiday as much in a long time.

Kathy

7 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,634 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips

It would be a good chance to explore Cadiz Province by staying over night because perhaps the drive is a good 2 hours.

The easiest drive from the point of view of straighter roads and also quite good vistas is using the A-384 towards Jerez then joining the main Seville to Cadiz road before soon turning off again on the road marked for Algeciras A 381. Allow at least 2 hours and consider parking at La Linea just across the border depending on what time you arrive due to queues to enter Gibraltar. If you park in La Linea there are public car parks and walking through the border to catch the bus !

But taking your time and maybe going via Gaucin with marvelous views towards Gibraltar in the distance could be wonderful.

This is a Video to publicise the La Donaira estate near El Gastor in Spring with rain ! You may like it.

https:/…20ABRIL-Ligero.mov

Albany, New York
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips

My husband and I are planning to visit our daughter in Cadiz in late October/early November who is spending a semester at the university there. We would like to use Cadiz as our base and are seeking advice on interesting day and overnight trips we can arrange from Cadiz using public transportation. Any insight would be most appreciated. Gracias!

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips

One of our first trips should be to nearby Jerez de la Frontera. Jerez is home to the Real Escuela (The Royal Spanish Riding School), my friend and I are going to see the show during October and I am very much looking forward to it, see www.realescuela.es Closeby you will find sherry bodegas which you can visit, again take a look at www.gonzalezbyass.com On our day in Jerez we also plan to visit the alcazar also.

Cádiz city itself is lovely, we holiday just down the coast at Chiclana de la Frontera for two weeks in July then I have two weeks in the pueblo blanco Olvera which is where I will be during October. However, I do have a rental car for getting about.

From Cádiz you could get the train to Sevilla which is absolutely gorgeous. If I were you I would stay in Sevilla for two or three nights and see the city properly for train times and costs consult www.renfe.com From Sevilla is it an easy train journey to visit Córdoba.

If you wish to see any of the inland pueblos blancos you most likely would be best by bus. Here is a link to current bus schedules, always best to check nearer the time what the actual service will be on the day turismoderonda.es/informacion/pdf/horarioaut… I think the fifth box down on the right hand column is the one of most use to you.

Take a looksee at www.andalucia.com for information on the towns and villages which you think might interest you.

Saludos. Lindsay

Albany, New York
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips

Thanks, Lindsay! I really appreciate the input. We have an Andalucia guidebook (from Rough Guide) that has a lot of wonderful descriptions on places to visit but not much info on how to get about. Might there be any local organized tour operators in Cadiz that cater to English-speaking tourists?

Is a day trip to Gibraltar worth the effort? We will definitely head to Sevilla and Ronda.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips

Ronda is beautiful. My son and I visited last October. The train station is on the newer side of town. Ronda is very walkable and within the newer side you will find the bull ring, tourist information office and lovely plazas (I loved Plaza de Socorro where there was a great choice of restaurants/cafés. After lunch we walked across el Puente Nuevo into the older part of town, visited La Casa de Don Bosco and wandered through the streets to Plaza de Parcent where we turned around and walked back towards the car park. Ronda is somewhere I will definitely go back to.

In the major towns and cities you will find the red open top tourist buses which have a continuous commentary running in different languages, I have not been on any yet but next time I am in Barcelona I will include this. Here is a weblink for the Cádiz page city-sightseeing.com/tours/spain/cadiz.htm I have never used an official tour guide so I could not recommend any particular company. I know there are walking tours as I have read other people on here commenting about them, personally I like to do a little bit of reading homework then put on a pair of comfy walking shoes.

We have been to Gibraltar several times over the years, usually just to buy everyone's perfumes and aftershaves at duty free prices or flying in/out to access the south west corner of Spain. To my mind it is a busy cramped place with too many pigeons. When we go we leave the car in La Linea de la Conceptión on the Spanish side and walk across. I am not a great animal lover so the apes on the rock don't appeal. It is just one of those places where you can say "I've been there". Now I have gone and done it and all the Gib lovers will be upset.

Any more questions I will help where I can.

Saludos. Lindsay

Albany, New York
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trips

Thanks again. I will check back with you intermittently as our plans firm up. Another friend recommended staying at the Parador in Cadiz. It appears to be near the university and the home of the host family where our daughter is staying. As we plan to fly in and out of Madrid, we are planning a long weekend (Friday until Monday) there on the second leg of our journey. Any advice you can offer would also be appreciated.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trips

Sorry Nick I haven't been in Madrid although my neighbour's daughter is going out there in the next week or so to do her fourth year at university there. She did her first three years in Glasgow and will be back here for her fifth. My friend is going over to visit her daughter a week or so after she goes just to check that she is settled in and have a few days together before the work starts.

As far as I am aware the Parador hotels (government owned) are generally of a high quality, I have seen the Parador in Ronda it is right next to El Puente Nuevo and I believe the one in Cadiz is relatively new if you have not seen their website here is the link http://www.parador.es/en/parador-de-cadiz

I am certain you will enjoy Spain but particularly this south west corner. Will enjoy hearing how your plans come together.

Saludos. Lindsay

Reply to: Day Trips
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about El Gastor
Recent Conversations