We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Masquerade Related Questions

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Topic
The Masquerade Related Questions

We're taking our son to Atlanta to see Modest Mouse in May. They're performing at The Masquerade on a Saturday.

1st, suggestions for nice hotels in that area would be very much appreciated. We travel with a pet, which limits our options somewhat. If I have a place to start, I can narrow down which allow pets & which don't on my own. We would like to be as close to the venue as possible, while being in a nice hotel in a very safe location.

2nd, this will also be my birthday weekend. I'd love for my husband & I to be able to go out for dinner. We'll only be there for one night. If our son brings a friend along, would it be safe for (2) 15 yr. old boys to go to the concert alone? We would drop them off & make sure they made it inside the venue, before leaving. We'd also be sure to make it back in ample time to be waiting for them, when the concert is over. I'm an overprotective mother. If you don't think this would be safe, please be honest. We know nothing about the area. I definitely wouldn't enjoy dinner, if I was worried about him all the time. If need be, my husband will go with our son instead & I'll hang out at the hotel. If we go this route, a hotel I feel safe staying alone in is very important.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Florida
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Masquerade Related Questions

Another question about Masquerade, I noticed they also have an outdoor auditorium. Do the bigger name brands play outside or in?

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Masquerade Related Questions

I don't know how helpful my comment will be. I've been to the Masquerade only once about five years ago. I thought it was a creepy place. The theme was demons and hell. Of course, all that may have changed by now.

I wouldn't send fifteen year olds off by themselves anywhere. I still remember being fiftteen. You only have a few more years before your son leaves home. Why not be safe rather than sorry later?

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
149 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Masquerade Related Questions

You might try the Courtyard ATL Midtown hotel or even the Gaslight B&B it's either on or by North Ave., which is close to the Masquerade. Or one of the hotels near Georgia Tech.

I've suffered through a few concerts myself because I didn't want to leave my daughter and her friends at a concert venue by themselves. I actually enjoyed a few of the shows! Ultimately, it's your call. If you're an overprotective mother then there really isn't a question here. You know your son, his friend, their maturity level and whether or not there is a possiblity that they could be influenced by the people attending the concert with them.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Masquerade Related Questions

Ontheroad

I would describe myself as a responsible teen in the 70s. I was 7th in my class. Yet I still succumbed to peer pressure to smoke pot at concerts in Atlanta. It would be the exceptional teen who could resist the pressure. I was an exceptional teen and sadly I still did it. I am so glad that I can relate the story now. I don't know how we get to my house without a highway accident.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Masquerade Related Questions

First off, I'm assuming that this is an "all ages show" otherwise they wont be able to set foot in the place.

I cant make a judgement call about whether you should or should not allow your kids to go to a show alone whether it be at Masquerade or any other club. You know your kid better then anybody on this message board.

I guess we also need to define what you mean by "safe". If by safe you mean lack of violence I've never personally seen any type of altercation inside the place.

This club is as "safe" as any other club. I have been there numerous times in the late 80's and early 90's (ok I'm dating myself here heh) as well as a couple of times within this past year once to see Ministry and once to see a band called Appleseed Cast. Its amazing how little the place has changed. Ah the memories. Personally I think its a great place to see a show. Basically its a huge warehouse with a "heaven", "purgatory", and "hell" sections ie heaven is on the top floor, hell on the bottom. Modest Mouse will be playing in heaven.

If you have any more specific questions let me know.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,225 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Masquerade Related Questions

I have not been to a show there, but it's next to the doggie daycare I use so I drive by a lot of evenings and am familiar with the crowd that congregates outside. I think in general, a show at the Masquerade is not going to be as safe and well-supervised as a show at a more major concert venue. The kids who go there look a bit rougher - a lot of goth and punk kids - but who knows, under all that black they may be straight-A choirboys. Appearances aren't everything. And, like the dude, I have never heard of any violent or otherwise troubling incident there. I don't think it's a particularly dangerous place but I can't say whether I'd leave my 14 year old there (I also don't have kids so it's very hypothetical).

I will say that the club is in an area that is transitional. There are very nice houses and restaurants nearby, but there are also housing projects and a police station nearby. I definitely wouldn't want them waiting for you to pick them up outside.

If you do decide to go to dinner while he's at the show, Two Urban Licks is VERY close to the Masquerade. It's got good food that isn't too expensive in a trendy and lively atmosphere. Also, Repast is very close. It's menu is a little smaller and perhaps less approachable, but I've had some excellent meals there and definitely recommend it for atmosphere and service. Both have websites with pictures and menus. For something smaller, quieter and more romantic, nearby Babette's is very good. Also, Pura Vida is very close and has great tapas and sangria.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
113 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Masquerade Related Questions

Yes, the police station is right across the street from The Masquerade. The club is situated smack in between low-income housing and the expensive homes of Virginia-Highland.

From the club, Repast is across the street and about a block away in the direction of low-income housing. I would not walk past Repast going in that direction at night. Going in the opposite direction, you could drive or cab a few blocks up North Avenue and run into Highland Avenue, where some of the other restaurants mentioned by J ATlanta are located. You'll also pass Manuel's Tavern, not a fancy place for dinner, but an Atlanta institution (they have a web site if you want to do some research).

Florida
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The Masquerade Related Questions

Thanks for all the replies. When I say safe, I am thinking of the possiblilty of them getting hurt. I really don't want him in a "crowd gone wild" situation. I'm afraid he wouldn't know how to handle that type of situation. I'm not too concerned about them doing drugs or drinking, if they were alone. They would be dropped off, & picked up by us. If they were doing anything like that, I'm pretty sure we'd pick up on it. There's absolutely zero chance I'd allow us to arrive late to pick them up. I really am overprotective. I'm just trying to let him grow up a bit, as everyone says I should.

I'm physically unable to stand up throughout a concert. My hubby always goes. Naturally, it would be more fun for my son to go to a concert with a friend than with his dad. Apparently, dad doesn't do the "mandatory" dancing. ;-) He's never been with a friend alone before. We were thinking of allowing him to do that for the 1st time to a concert at the House of Blues in Orlando. We'd hang out at Downtown Disney waiting for them. Maybe, we'll decide to do that, then see how it goes.

Normally my hubby has to drive him & most of the concerts he goes to are too far to drive back & forth to anyway. I usually stay home. The only reason we started considering letting him go with a friend is my husband & I could have dinner & shop while they're at the HOB, giving my hubby something to do while he waited for them. There's not really anything to do at night near the concert venues around here.

Atlanta would require a hotel stay, so we'd all go. I was thinking dinner would give us something to do, while we waited. Maybe, booking a close hotel that has a restaurant onsite would work best. That way we wouldn't be doing a lot of driving around.

Regardless of what we decide to do about the concert, we'll still need a nice, close hotel & a place for dinner. Thanks for your suggestions on that too.

PS: I always thought having a police station across the street was a good thing. I can't imagine there would be too much going on in sight of the police.

Sorry, this was so long. :o

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,225 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Masquerade Related Questions

I don't see the Masquerade turning into a mob scene. There are always tons of kids there but it seems like the place would get a reputation if anything dangerous had occurred.

It does seem that the police station would be a plus, but in this case it definitely is not. The area around the main police station on Ponce is really seedy and a high crime area. The building itself is in decay and the APD is moving out soon so that it can be redeveloped as condos. For now, though, there are homeless people all around and drug traffic nearby.

Highland Inn is the closets hotel and is inexpensive. Other than that the closest area for a hotel would be midtown.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Masquerade Related Questions

One thing I forgot to mention...the stairs to the "heaven" area collapsed a few years ago on New Years Eve...but they've obviously been repaired. Noboby got hurt too seriously just a few broken bones. But like I said they've repaired the stairs and I can report they seem quite sturdy now.