We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic in Atlanta

Dunkirk, Indiana
Level Contributor
149 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic in Atlanta

I will be passing through Atlanta on Friday in the morning hours. Is it better to take the bypass or to take I-75 through town. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Lilburn, Georgia
Level Contributor
107 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic in Atlanta

if you are going on to 75 again take 285.

downtown can get messy quick.

be careful not to take 285 the wrong way.

its wierd as the ramps criss cross.

285 east is the right fork and 285 west (or south) is the left fork.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic in Atlanta

I would take 75 straight through town unless you're passing through between 7-9. Otherwise 285 is just as bad as 75/85, and at least with 75-85 it's a direct route.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
124 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic in Atlanta

I'll also be driving through in a couple of weeks. I'm a little nervous as I have not driven through Altlanta by myself before. I'm going to Florida and plan on driving straight through on 75. Any advice?

Grayson, Georgia
Level Contributor
428 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic in Atlanta

To the original poster and the previous poster, I would drive straight through the city on I-75. I find the perimeter (285) tends to have more congestion, and you usually get stuck at the on- and off-ramps. Don't worry about exiting and just keep driving.

atlanta
Level Contributor
579 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic in Atlanta

I would go straight too, you ware going to be in traffic anyway if you drive at 7-9am, or 4-6:30pm. Just try not to drive through the city at those hrs and you shoudl be fine. I285 will be congested during rush hr.

Lilburn, Georgia
Level Contributor
107 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic in Atlanta

ya'll are crazy! there is no traffic on 285 going around towards 20 from cobb county.

there is no traffic down at the airport.

there is allways traffic on the 85/75 connector headed into town.

heck it starts up in cherokee and goes all the wat to fulton street.

i'll race ya'll anytime.

Dunkirk, Indiana
Level Contributor
149 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic in Atlanta

I will be leaving Dalton, GA at 6:00 oclock. I do not know how long it is to Alanta from there. How every long will be when I get into Alanta.

Dunkirk, Indiana
Level Contributor
149 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traffic in Atlanta

6:00 a.m.

atlanta
Level Contributor
579 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traffic in Atlanta

Can you tell us where exactly where you are going and we can give better directions. I read something about cobb county and i-20 in one reply?

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,183 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traffic in Atlanta

it is normally a 2 hour drive from dalton to atlanta. but at that time of the morning you'd be well advised to have a late breakfast and leave about 8am instead. other wise you'll just sit in traffic. good luck!