We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Porc Trip Report- Rhodes Hall, Fox Theater, Jazz and Blues

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
613 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Porc Trip Report- Rhodes Hall, Fox Theater, Jazz and Blues

Arrived at the airport from DFW on Tuesday and drove to Mary Mac’s Tearoom for lunch. This was my 2nd visit and I was not disappointed. The fried chicken, blackeyed peas and macaroni and cheese were delicious. The waiter was a young guy and the service was excellent. I really like this place. I then headed to work for the rest of the day.

I checked into the Georgian Terrace Hotel Tuesday afternoon. This hotel has a great location right at Peachtree St. and Ponce de Leon. Here is the review and some pictures:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60898-d1113…

This was my 2nd stay at the Georgian Terrace. I had no problems checking in. My room on the 10th floor was a suite with a small kitchen and was very nice. Maid service is good too. The bell and valet staff were very nice and professional. The rooftop pool is a salt water pool and the views are great from up there. The valet parking was $25 but it was very quick to get my car. Usually less than 5 minutes since the garage is right next to the hotel. I don't understand all the bad reviews because I would recommend this hotel due to price and location.

The location is the best part. The Fox Theater and Churchill Grounds Jazz Club are right across the street. There is also a small plate bar called Bazaaar across the street. At night, it is a dance club that is open till 3 AM.

The only downside is after 10 PM, there are a lot of homeless guys in the area and they will bother you for money. I was sitting outside on the hotel porch enjoying the evening watching the traffic on Peachtree St. Usually you can ignore them but a few tried to sit down and tell stories of hard luck. I would just get up and go into the lobby until they left. It was not a big deal though.

That night I went to the Fox Theater to see a play called "Love in the Nick of Tyme". I first had some appetizers at Bazaaar which is right next to the theater.

Here is the review and some pictures. I also included some pictures from the Arts Ctr area:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60898-d1051…

I always check the schedule at the Fox when planning a trip to Atlanta. The theater is beautiful inside and out. You really feel as you are outside because the ceiling is painted like a night sky complete with twinkling stars. I saw the play "Love in the Nick of Tyme". The story was about a middle aged lady who owns a ladies hair salon in a large city. She is a single mother with a teenage son. The boy's father is a struggling musician who doesn't really want Tyme but doesn't want anyone else to have her either. The UPS delivery man likes Tyme and they start dating. They fall in love and and the boy's father finally realizes he has lost out.

Went to work on Wednesday and when I got back to the hotel, I walked 2 blocks to the North Ave transit ctr and caught the Marta downtown loop bus (route 100). This takes you by the MLK area, the aquarium, Coke museum and back to midtown. The best $1.75 you can spend.

I then went to Manuel’s Tavern to meet some colleagues from work who were also traveling from Fort Worth. I organized the dinner there and everyone loved it. I told them a little history about the place. Good steaks and beer. The waitress said Jimmy Carter still stops in occasionally.

After getting back to the hotel, I went to the Churchill Grounds Jazz Club which is right across the street from the hotel. I saw Joe Gransden and loved it. This is a real laid back place where the audience is very quiet. Cover charge is only $7. The main bar has a lot of people there also and is much louder.

After work on Thursday, I ate at the Olive Bistro again. Great falafels and a good selection of wine. This restaurant is in a shopping center by Home Depot on Ponce across from the Atlanta City Hall East. I drove this time and it was daylight. I had walked here back in January when it was dark. I won’t do that again. My last trip report included being accosted by a bum for money right in front of the restaurant at 9 PM and I tapped on the glass to get Ian’s attention. Ian ran him off. The funny thing is Ian told me the owner had read my trip report and complained to the building’s management about security. I had no problems this time. I drove back to the hotel and then caught the Ponce bus to Highland Ave and walked to Blind Willie’s Blues Club. The house band was playing with a guest singer. I had a good time here on my 2nd visit.

On Friday after leaving work at noon, I went to Rhodes Memorial Hall on Peachtree St. Here is the review and some pictures:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60898-d1443…

You can easily get to Rhodes Hall on the Peachtree St. bus. There is a bus stop right in front. If you are a civil war fan, you will love the painted glass windows by the staircase. The panels depict scenes from the Confederacy and many southern generals. Be sure to take the full tour for $8 so you can see all the floors and even go onto the roof for a great view of midtown. I was the only person on the tour on a Friday afternoon. The house was built from granite from Stone Mountain during 1902 to 1904 for Amos Giles Rhodes. He was the first person to manufacture low cost furniture and sell it on credit. The tour guide was excellent. She knew a lot of history about Mr. Rhodes and the house. They have old photos of the house to show this area was not very developed back when the house was built. The tour is about 45 minutes.

Friday afternoon, I drove south to Griffin, GA to see my nephew graduate from High School. My parents were there from Kansas and we had a great visit.

Saturday afternoon, I headed back to the airport to catch my flight home. I did not have time to see the jazz concert in Piedmont Park.

I believe I will be coming back in December. As always, I had a great time in Atlanta.

Porc

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Porc Trip Report- Rhodes Hall, Fox Theater, Jazz and Blues

great post porc! sounds like you maximized your time wisely. glad you had fun, come back any ole time!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,856 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Porc Trip Report- Rhodes Hall, Fox Theater, Jazz and Blues

Thanks so much for the great post Porc. I am always happy to see another trip report posted by you. It makes a hard day at work a little more enjoyable.

Have you explored downtown Decatur yet? I think you'd really like that. Also, the neighborhoods of East Atlanta, Grant Park, Cabbagetown and Oakhurst are a little bohemian and very fun. I can't recall if you've been to Oakland Cemetary but I highly recommend that. It's free to enter, very close to downtown, and is like taking a giant setp back in time.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Porc Trip Report- Rhodes Hall, Fox Theater, Jazz and Blues

Hey JAtlanta, "I can't recall if you've been to Oakland Cemetary but I highly recommend that. It's free to enter, very close to downtown, and is like taking a giant setp back in time."

Porc has been to the cemetery. In fact, many of my photos were linked to him since I requested my photos not be linked to my ID.

Anyway, Porc aka Texas Troll, thanks for your reviews of Atlanta and photos. I learn something everytime you post a report.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Porc Trip Report- Rhodes Hall, Fox Theater, Jazz and Blues

I just counted the photos I posted to the Oakland Cemetery. They add up to 24. Some are linked to a tripadvisor member from Atlanta but others are porcuine although I posted them. It shows the internet is often wrong.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Porc Trip Report- Rhodes Hall, Fox Theater, Jazz and Blues

Sorry, the spelling is porcupine. When will we get an edit feature on TripAdvisor? Long sigh here TA.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Porc Trip Report- Rhodes Hall, Fox Theater, Jazz and Blues

Porc, I am so glad you drove to Olive Bistro this time and didn't walk. I still get the shakes when I think of you walking that alone.

And I love Rhodes Hall! I attended a wedding reception there a few years ago and really enjoyed learning the history of the place.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
613 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Porc Trip Report- Rhodes Hall, Fox Theater, Jazz and Blues

Hey bbqman ! Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the story of Son's Place. TA says it is in Virgina-Highland but it is in Inman Park. When are you going back to New Orleans ? I am going in August for Satchmo Summerfest.

reinaruba, I checked my review and pictures on Oakland cemetery. It seems we took the same pictures but they are tagged to the correct person. I noticed you like Jasper Newton Smith's tomb also. Seeing him sitting in that chair on top of his tomb is a riot. Did you know that when the statue was made, the sculptor had given him a tie ? Mr. Smith refused to pay for the statue until the tie was chiseled off becaus he never wore a tie.

JAtlanta and Peachyswan, Thanks for the warm welcome to Atlanta. I have not yet ventured to Decatur or the other neighborhoods you mentioned. Maybe next trip.

Porc

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Porc Trip Report- Rhodes Hall, Fox Theater, Jazz and Blues

Hey, Porc.

I suppose it is possible we took the same photos. I could swear some of the photos ascribed to you are mine. No matter, though. I thought it was funny that Mr. Smith wanted to be sitting in a chair near the entrance so he could watch the goings and comings in the cemetery. I didn't know that about the tie. He was a real character.

9. Re: Porc Trip Report- Rhodes Hall, Fox Theater, Jazz and Blues

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 14:29