We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buckhead or Midtown

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Buckhead or Midtown

I've posted messages previously and thank you to all those who responded already but I am still having problems deciding where to stay?

Buckhead or Midtown - it's as simple as that - please respond with which area you think is best to stay in....nicer restaurants? nicer to walk out in the evening?

over to you guys!!

Mentioned in this post
Buckhead
Buckhead
410 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,073 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buckhead or Midtown

MIdtown, definitely. Buckhead is not a pedestrian area. In midtown, you can walk to restaurants, bars, shops from your hotel. There are always peopel out walking dogs, strolling around, jogging, and you'll be in walking distance of Piedmont Park. Midtown has a good mix of businesses and residences. Buckhead is more spread out, with a lot of shoppin and restaurants but mostly people drive between those.

Mentioned in this post
Buckhead
Buckhead
410 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Piedmont Park
Piedmont Park
2,104 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
atlanta
Level Contributor
580 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buckhead or Midtown

Buckhead. Better dinning and shopping. Stay around Lenox Mall and you can walk to many places.

Mentioned in this post
Buckhead
Buckhead
410 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Lenox Villas
Lenox Villas
Atlanta, GA
Daytona/Port Orange
Level Contributor
411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buckhead or Midtown

i would pick buckhead by lenox mall, others prefer midtown

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
613 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buckhead or Midtown

My vote is Midtown. It feels more like a big city. Buckhead is too spread out. Midtown has a lot more attractions that I prefer.

Either way, with MARTA rail, you can go back and forth between the two very easily.

Mentioned in this post
Buckhead
Buckhead
410 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Atlanta
Level Contributor
233 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buckhead or Midtown

We love both Buckhead and Midtown. Buckhead is perfect for shopping---Lenox Square is the largest mall in the south, and Phipps Plaza is very upscale. The area is also known for its great dining spots like Pricci (Italian), Bones (steaks), etc. Midtown is definitely more quirky, w/ locally-owned shops and great restaurants, too. It is easier to walk around in midtown than in Buckhead. Either way, you'll have a great time. BTW: I agree that Memphis is a horrible place to visit. We lived there before we moved here to ATL, and I haven't ever thought about going back! Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Buckhead
Buckhead
410 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Lenox Square
Lenox Square
527 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Phipps Plaza
Phipps Plaza
122 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,073 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buckhead or Midtown

Buckhead is definitely best for high volume shopping but since your question was about dining and strolling around, I really think you'd be happiest in midtown. There's really no strolling through Buckhead. It has fantastic restaurants, but most are very large and more formal, lacking the quirkiness of a lot of places in midtown. It's an over-generalization, but one that usually holds up. The two neighborhoods are so close and connected by MARTA that you should have no problem going to Buckhead if you want to spend some time shopping.

Mentioned in this post
Buckhead
Buckhead
410 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
203 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buckhead or Midtown

Midtown,

just visited, and loved it so much that we want to move there.

Nashville
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Buckhead or Midtown

well, for walking around pick midtown...for shopping/dining pick buckhead

they are so close you can explore both easily

i used to walk around midtown and was hassled by the beggers and would not do too much walking after dark unless it was in a crowded area, that's why i recommended buckhead...it is safer in my opinion

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buckhead or Midtown

If you're young (21-27), Buckhead. It's has nightlife for young ppl.

Mentioned in this post
Buckhead
Buckhead
410 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,073 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buckhead or Midtown

Buckhead used to have nightlife. Not anymore. The whole Buckhead Village bar district has been torn down to make way for more upscale establishments. No big loss, as that bar scene hasn't been popular for years.

Mentioned in this post
Buckhead
Buckhead
410 Reviews
Atlanta, GA