We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlanta next year

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Atlanta next year

Thanks to everyone who has already replied to hotel/area queries - what sort of weather should we expect late March/early April?

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlanta next year

Neep,

Temps in Atlanta can vary drastically this time of year but I would guess 50's - 60's. Having said this in 1993 Atlanta had a very late snow - I believe it was mid-March.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlanta next year

Yep, we had our infamous Ides of March blizzard right about March 15, 1993. Only time since I moved to Atlanta in 1986 we've had a true blizzard any time of the year -- heavy snow (for us) and 45-50 mph winds. As bad as it was here, it was even worst in Birmingham and Chattanooga -- we got 4 inches officially (at the airport) and probably 6-8 inches in midtown where I lived at the time -- Birmingham got 17 inches and Chattanooga 20. I had no power for a couple of days, but someplaces were out much longer.

Read all about it at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Blizzard_of_1993 .

Anyway, you should expect mild weather, warm but probably not hot. As likely as not it'll be sunny. However, we do get plenty of rain and storms that time of year, and this past year we had an uncharacteristic late cold spell, with lows below freezing and highs only in the upper 50s F (around 14 C) well into the first couple of weeks of April. It's also certainly not unheard of for temperatures to reach into the upper 80s or even the low 90s F (32-33 C) -- this year our high for the month of March was 91 F (33 C), and the high for April was 88 F (31 C), but again we also had below freezing temps for lows most of the first week of April. (Note that these numbers are for a personal weather station here in the Roswell area, not the official weather reporting station at the airport).

This link:

http://tinyurl.com/2gn4p8

will give you a pretty good idea of what you're likely to get -- it's for the date range March 22 to April 5 at the Atlanta Peachtree DeKalb airport (a better indication of what the weather's like in most of the Atlanta area than the official station at Hartsfield-Jackson airport). The summary: average high 69 F, average low 47 F. 1% chance of a hot day (over 90 F/32 C), 81% chance of a warm day (over 60 F/16 C), 5% chance of a below freezing day (32 F/0 C). 28% chance of precipitation.

It's the most beautiful time of the year in Atlanta, edging out the fall because everything's in bloom -- dogwoods, azaleas, and just about everything else.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
92 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlanta next year

Perfect time of year to visit Atlanta! Weather should be spectacular, and everything starts to bloom then.

Fayetteville
Level Contributor
545 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlanta next year

Actually the blizzard was March 7, 1993 and I remember that cause I had just found out I was pregnant for the first time. We haven't had snow like that since. Oh how I wish it would snow once more like that.

Fayetteville
Level Contributor
545 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlanta next year

Sorry about that, i hit the wrong #'s it was the 14th it started snowing.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,634 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atlanta next year

See weatherunderground.com or weather.com for historical weather data.

7. Re: Atlanta next year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 15:16