We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

midtown v. buckhead

DC
4 posts
Save Topic
midtown v. buckhead

Have an opportunity to live in Atlanta for 6 months to a 1 yr. Will be working near the airport. Interested in knowing which neighborhood I should get an apartment. Price isn't a problem. Would like to be near MARTA. (midtown or buckhead)

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: midtown v. buckhead

midtown if you want a nice and peacefull place to live or Buckhead if you want to know what it was like to live in the days of Wyatt Earp.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
157 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: midtown v. buckhead

Midtown. Much more walkable and urban feeling, close to Piedmont Park, and there are MARTA stations at 10th, 15th, and North Avenue.

Buckhead has good shopping and restaurants, but it's more of a weekend destination. You have to drive everywhere and the traffic drives me crazy there.

DC
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: midtown v. buckhead

Thanks for the responses. I'm considering a place near Buckhead MARTA and North Ave., MARTA. Is the North Ave., area safe? I know it's an urban environment, thus no guarantees. For convenience of shopping, going out to eat etc��� sounds like midtown offers all that correct?

Any advice on apartment buildings?

atlanta
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: midtown v. buckhead

I lived at the corner of North Ave and Peachtree and always felt safe. I think you'd be better off all around by choosing to live closer to the Arts Center Station.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
229 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: midtown v. buckhead

I agree with the last post. I don't think North Ave is especially "unsafe" for an urban area, but there's more to do closer into Midtown. Look at the areas closest to Piedmont Park.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: midtown v. buckhead

The North Avenue area isn't unsafe. It just doesn't have as much to offer when you've got Piedmont Park up the road. My husband lived on Eighth Street a few years ago, which is not far from Piedmont Park and he loved it. He could walk there easily or to a number of restaurants/shops. They were building a Publix in a new complex right on Peachtree when he moved out in 2003. I'd have to doublecheck on that.

There are tons of condos/apartments for rent in that area, from highrises to pre-World War II bungalows. You might also be able to sublet from someone.

I personally prefer Midtown over Buckhead and that wasn't always true. That's not necessarily because of the rise in crime in the area because that usually happens at 2 a.m. when I'm home asleep. I just think Midtown is a good fit for young professionals who like an active life, good restaurants and the arts.

I like shopping in Buckhead but unless it was in the Peachtree or Garden Hills areas, I don't think I'd want to live there. Personal preference, really. And it doesn't matter because I could never afford to live there anyway. ;-)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: midtown v. buckhead

You asked about apartment buildings. Since cost is not object, you could have your pick. A friend of my husband's bought a condo in a high rise on 14th Street within spitting distance of Piedmont Park. He walks to work. I cannot remember the name of it at this very moment, but if you are going north on Peachtree and turn right on 14th, it's a block and a half down the street on the right. It's next to the 14th Street Playhouse.

He loves it there. I'd imagine you could probably rent/sublet a place. There are other highrises nearby and some other apartment/condo type places you can look at.

DC
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: midtown v. buckhead

Thanks for the responses. The building I'm considering is at 1280 W. Peachtree. Sounds like midtown is the place to be. Only reason Buckhead is a consideration, is the apartment building is a block to MARTA. Also, it isn't a high rise. With time running out, looks like a 30 day lease until I get to know the town. Look forward to joining y'all in Atlanta.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: midtown v. buckhead

That address sounds just fine. That's close to a lot of things, including MARTA. In fact, it's only a block or so from the One Atlantic office building my husband will start working at in September. Good choice!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: midtown v. buckhead

Yeah, if you were living in Buckhead at the moment, you might not be able to get to your apartment. The police have had several blocks of Peachtree Rd. closed down in Buckhead for almost 24 hours. Some yahoo, who is a suspect in the murder of his girlfriend in Florida has climbed out onto a crane on top of an 18 story building and is threatening to jump. He's been out there for a full day, and they say he is occasionally dozing off, so they give him a blast on an airhorn to wake him back up so he doesn't fall off.

Just one more episode in the zoo/soap opera that Buckhead has become. When I grew up there back in the 50s it was just a sleepy little community. Our closest neighbors down Roswell Rd., just north of where it splits off from Peachtree was a big pig farm. Then again, maybe it hasn't changed all that much.