We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to ATL

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to ATL

Hi there!

SOS! I'm moving to ATL from the UK for about three months (to feel it out before deciding if I want to move permenantly!). Wondered if anyone knows of good areas to live, that will also have short let apartments (3months). Hellllpp!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to ATL

TA might pull this, because it isn't travel related, but...

If you want the city, check out midtown. Inside 285, Virginia Highlands would be a great area to live. There are many places to choose from. If you want suburbs check out East Cobb and North Fulton Areas. Really we need more info on what you are looking for. How old are you, do you have kids and need good schools. Do you need to be close to the city. Will you need public transport to get around. Will you be working here? If you give more info then you might get better ideas on where to look.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to ATL

Can you do that? I mean, can you just decide you want to move to Atlanta from London? (TA closes down moving threads.) Really, I want to know. Moving from one country to another is very complicated, especially to the US. How do you get the legal documentation to do that?

Anyway, you really would need to visit here first. There is no way a board on the internet can provide you the information you are seeking. You need to visit in person.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
75 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to ATL

Will you be working while here and will you be bringing any furniture? If so, and assuming that you have all of your documents in order, you may want to check out the possibility of being a short-term home manager. That way you can actually live in various areas before settling down permanently. Two companies that I know of are Southern Design & Staged Properties and Creative Showhomes. Google them to get their contact info. (and there may be other companies as well)

On the other hand, if you won't be bringing any furniture with you, you may want to check out CraigsList for a furnished sub-let. Much luck to you!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to ATL

To answer the question above, yes you can do that. You can decide to move from London to Atlanta. It isn't that difficult if you are looking short term. If you are looking long term it is more complicated, also not that difficult. I have lived in over 7 countries, from North America, Europe and Asia. Yes there is paper work, but not difficult.

SelMel,

If you can get some responses on this board, it will be a place to start. I have asked the same questions on other boards on TA when we have looked at moving. It becomes overwhelming trying to decide where to even start looking. Do a search and see what else is still up on TA. Atlanta will be a big change from London. I miss London, use to live in St. John's Wood and my husband use to live in Hampstead. But the weather is much better here in Atlanta. Plus much cheaper to live here in Atlanta than London.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
672 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to ATL

SelMel, you could also try the Suwanee area - daughter just moved off of McGinnis Ferry Rd. into some great apartments - I think they will rent shorter times, also. It's not a real crowded area, unlike some other portions of metro Atlanta - it's on the inside of I-85 - don't go near the Pleasant Hill area, it's much too crowded. If you would like more info, just send me a private message - good luck!

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to ATL

Thanks so much for all the help guys. I hope trip advisor dont pull this, its still technically a holiday....kind of! Im 25, no kids...looking for a change and quite alot of my friends have hit the states so thought it would be a fun sabatical while I decide what I want to do in life. I think the max I can stay is three months before it all gets super dooper complicated with paper work etc.

P.S. Yep it is quite possible to wake up one morning and think I want to leave London...the planning that goes with it however isnt as fun!

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to ATL

Oh no furniture! Just myself, my suitcase and my best friend. I won't be working. I just want to go for a little while to check it out, see if I actually like the US (everyone says I will) and if I do I can come back to London and work out the long term details such as documentation, work etc etc

Grayson, Georgia
Level Contributor
428 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to ATL

SelMel,

Will you have a car? Atlanta is not much of a walking city, so if you have to rely on public transportation, you will be limited as to where you can live. I am in the suburbs where a car is necessary, and can't advise very well on which urban areas are pedestrian- and public-transportation friendly. Others have mentioned areas in midtown--I think that would be a good start. And the idea to check craigslist.com was a good one--you'll want to see if there are any furnished apartments out there. They have a section for sublets/temporary rentals.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to ATL

Sounds like Midtown would be a good place to start. Are you looking at other cities in the States? If I were going to pic 1 city to move to in America for 3 months, and I was 25, I don't think Atlanta would be top of my list.

Wellington
Level Contributor
112 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to ATL

That is a big request without knowing your preferences.

Do tou like solitude, parties, crime, danger, tradition, upscale, ghetto, etc?

ATL has it all.