We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shooting the hooch

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
1,259 reviews
Save Topic
shooting the hooch

what's your favorite memory of drifting down the chattahoochee river on a warm sunny day? mine will always be the diving rock. yours?

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
166 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shooting the hooch

The Great American Raft Race, circa 1979.

I was a Junior at a Dekalb County high school. I belived that was the last year for the race, due to complaints from homeowners along the river of too many drunks and litter. It was fun, though. They had contests for the best rafts and it was quite a people watching experience.

Kennesaw, GA
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shooting the hooch

The diving rock and the Raft Race for sure. I met a girl I went steady with for a year in high school on a church outing shooting the hooch. We're still friends thirty five years later.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shooting the hooch

I have to envoke the rememberances of Ron White the comedian, when he observed, that all of his friends who were rafting, had consumed large quantities of beer, but not one had exited the river in 5 hours to use the bathroom. Surely they were not urinating in the river --- LOL. You know you are relaxed when you have no problem urinating on yourself.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
1,259 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shooting the hooch

does anyone even do this any more? is the water clean enough to allow it in this day and age? it used to be a great trip. i hope it still is today.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
166 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shooting the hooch

We tried last summer to rent a raft but the Ntl. Park Service no longer rents them at the Powers Ferry/285 location and they no longer have the shuttle service to take you back to your car from the Hwy 41 takeout. However there are private companies that rent rafts or you can always bring your own. I found a link about rafting the Hooch on the NPS website.

www.nps.gov/chat/planyourvisit/boating.htm

Marietta, Ga. USA
Level Contributor
516 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shooting the hooch

Hearing about the guy that was so drunk during the river race, he exited the river, stumbled up the shore, stumbled into my parent's friend's home on the river, pissed in their toilet, they called the police, he hauled *ss back to his raft and kept partying...hahahahahahahhahahahahaha!

7. Re: shooting the hooch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 05:21