We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are tornados common in Atlanta?

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern NH
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Are tornados common in Atlanta?

Two years ago when I was down the first week of April, there were reports of tornados just outside of Atlanta.

I am heading down 3-28 and staying at the Omni for four days (I hope, if they got things fixed)!

When I hear tornado I think Midwest, are they common around Atlanta this time of year or something?

Scott from NH

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,745 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are tornados common in Atlanta?

We do have a few bad storms during the spring but so does almost every southern state. This is the first time ever that Atlanta was hit.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Are tornados common in Atlanta?

A few years ago, Alphretta (Atlanta suburb) was hit close to where my son lived. He said that the big brick houses were just shoved off their foundations. It's scary but it does happen all over. But No, they aren't common as they are in other parts of the country.

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are tornados common in Atlanta?

Does anyone local know which hotels were hit downtown? I have a convention starting next Thursday at the Hyatt Regency.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,374 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are tornados common in Atlanta?

The only hotels I've read of being affected are the Omni and Westin Peachtree Plaza.

Re: tornadoes being common, I think I heard on the news this morning that this is the first time a tornado has struck intown Atlanta since the 50's.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
672 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are tornados common in Atlanta?

Atlanta is usually very safe - it's almost always the suburbs that are hit, if and when we do have tornadoes. We get alot of watches during the spring, but warnings are not that common - this has been an uncommon spring!!

I'm surprised Carrollton was spared this time - it's been the hot spot lately! Just sending out prayers to all who were affected!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are tornados common in Atlanta?

No tornados are not common.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,374 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are tornados common in Atlanta?

I was totally wrong on the dates I quoted. Don't know how I got that info. There had never been a tornado in downtown Atlanta since they began tracking such things in the 1800s. There was one in Buckhead in the 80s that hit the governor mansion. They are more common in suburban area.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,389 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are tornados common in Atlanta?

I just got off the phone with a client on the west coast who mentioned the recent tornadoes here. She said, "Oh yeah, it makes sense. Those things tend to be drawn to trailer parks."

That's our problem - all those trailer parks downtown. If it weren't for those, how would the tornadoes know where to go? I guess they'll have to repair the Thrashers' trailer before the game on Tuesday. They can just wheel the broken one out and wheel a better one in.

Forgive the vent, but it just really rubbed me the wrong way.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are tornados common in Atlanta?

Yeah, CNN is known to have a lot of offices and studios in trailer parks.

I guess that comment was supposed to be "funny," but it was just obnoxious and dumb. I am sitting here looking at the Westin and the Equitable building with all the broken windows, and it's not really all that humorous. I know one person who was working late at the Equitable building and was absolutely terrified, thinking that it was a terrorist bombing.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are tornados common in Atlanta?

Tornados were rare before, but I won't be surprised if we start seeing more of them in the future (climate change, anyone?). It still will certainly be very rare for a tornado to hit any downtown area, but I think we'll be seeing more and more of them in the coming years.