We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

will be alone in Atlanta

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
24 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
will be alone in Atlanta

Hi,

I'm going to Atlanta for a conference in May. Staying a the W hotel in midtown. I will probably be on my own Tuesday night and Friday night and won't have a car.

Any suggestions to do solo....cute cafes to people watch? Shopping?

Thanks!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
203 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: will be alone in Atlanta

I don't get into Atlanta much anymore, so I am not sure what will be within walking distance of your hotel. I think it is close to the High Museum and the Woodruff Arts Center. The High often has evening activities, and this complex is also where the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra performs. You might also want to take a cab to Atlantic Station, a shopping/residential complex just across the Interstate highway. There also may be things to do on or near the Georgia Tech campus, which is also a short cab ride away; if nothing else, you can experience the chili cheese dogs and French fries at the Varsity drive-in restaurant (they also have a very large indoor seating area). When I worked down there one of my favorite evening stops was the Georgia Tech bookstore, run by Barnes and Noble. The map shows that you are also not that far from the Virginia Highlands neighborhood, which (I am told) is a good place for hanging out and nightlife. All these places have internet sites, which can help you with your research. Good luck!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: will be alone in Atlanta

If you walk straight out of your hotel on 14th street you'll see Juniper St heading south. Down this street for about 5 or so blocks are several good restaurants, a couple have patios. I dont really hang out around here much, but I have eaten at Avra in midtown which is a greek restaurant. I think there is an Asian restaurant and a Spanish restaurant that is supposed to be pretty good.

Attached to your hotel is Shout, which has an outside patio. Never eaten here either but have hung out and drank a couple of times...I do know they serve sushi. Also in the same building as yourself is Tamarind Seed, which supposedly has some really good Thai food.

Across Peachtree St on the corner of peachtree and 14th is Tap which also has an outdoor patio. In that same building is Trois, a French restaurant. If you continue west down 14th you'll run into Crescent Avenue. If you walk down Crescent there are several bars/restaurants in that area.

Also, if you step out of your hotel on 14th Street and go East (left) on 14th you'll run into Piedmont Park where there is a botanical garden and also some lakes you can walk around.

As you can see there are a lot of choices in the area. As far as shopping goes, I'll leave that to the ladies to answer.

Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: will be alone in Atlanta

Dude,

Wow that was some pretty acurate info! You almost had it down to how many steps it was.... you must have walked that before. I walked back from Mary Macs to my hotel Renisance (beside varsity) That was a mistake ! 1st because I ate to much second I think I walked back the long way! Seemed like I was walking back to NC. One good thing about it I walked off that fried chcicken!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,227 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: will be alone in Atlanta

I used to live next door to that hotel, and it's a good area for hanging out solo. Along Juniper, which runs right in front of your hotel, are Einstein's, which has an amazing brunch and great patio, and Joe's on Juniper, which is a bar and grill that is mostly gay. A couple of blocks down are Cuerno, a new very stylish Spanish restaurant, and Beleza, which serves fresh and healthy Brazilian inspired cuisine. Next to them is Chocolate Pink, an great bakery. If I were you, though, I would walk down Piedmont heading south along PIedmont Park and there are two places side by side in the park that have awesoem views and awesome peole watching. First is Willy's which is just an ultra casual cali burrito place. Next to that is a pretty good casual Italian place with a great patio. I've been there but can't recall the name. You'll see people and dogs of all types parading past, and can stroll through the park. If you continue along PIedmont towards 10th, there are several good places there. I love Sweet Devil Moon for Tapas, Zocalo for upscale Mexican, and Nickiemotos for sushi. You can really just roam around and see what suits your fancy.

I second the TAP recommendation, though it can get really crowded and raucous around happy hour time. Also, along Crescent Avenue there are Vickery's and Front Page News, which have beautiful patios for dining, though mediocre food.

You will find lots of options. Have fun!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,227 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: will be alone in Atlanta

sorry about the typos

GA
Level Contributor
90 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: will be alone in Atlanta

Walk a few blocks up to the High Museum, and you can find the bus stop for the free bus that runs to the Atlantic Station area, which is like its own little towncenter area with shopping, brews, eats, a movie theatre, etc. . . . It runs amazingly till 1am EVERY DAY!

7. Re: will be alone in Atlanta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 17:15