We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Priceline Question

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Murfreesboro...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Priceline Question

I'm planning on coming to Atlanta with my family on the 7th of this month.Can you go bad with Buckhead or Downtown using Priceline's name your own price on a 4 star hotel? And are all the hotels easy to locate and park at and have cheap food options nearby? Also, since it dosen't ask how many people, what do I need to to make sure I will have 2 beds or 1 bed and a sofa? Thanks for the help in advance.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,438 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Priceline Question

I would focus on midtown I were using Priceline. That website uses a fairly liberal definition of Buckhead, and I recall one person on this forum bidding and getting a hotel that was not really Buckhead ( I think Priceline ultimately refunded his money). I recall a similar situation where Priceline considered the Holiday Inn near Turner Field to be downtown, which was not really accurate. There is no way to guarantee two beds. You can call the hotel one you've won the bid and ask if they can give you 2 beds, but there's no guarantee.

Almost any hotel in downtown, midtown, or Buckhead is going to charge for parking. If money is a concern, you might include the Perimeter area in your search, where you could park free and use MARTA to get around the city. Or, a lot of people on this board recommend the Wingate in Buckhead. It might be a lower priced option.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Priceline Question

We've bid 4-star on both Buckhead and Downtown. For the most part, we've been happy. But we had a bad enough experience the last time when we got the Sheraton downtown that we won't be doing that again.

What I do before placing the bid is check www.biddingfortravel.com which has a list of the hotels from winning bids listed on the site. Check out all the 4-stars listed in the areas you want. If you can live with all of them (and I mean every single one because you'll surely get the worst one), then bid. If there's even 1 you can't live with, don't bid.

In general, the hotels in Atlanta have more Priceline availability on weekends since it's a business hotel destination more than a tourist one. If you are bidding for a weekend, a lower bid will be accepted.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Priceline Question

I realize you are asking specifically about Atlanta, but...

I know of many who have been happy with bidding on Priceline for hotels, but I am not one of them. I tried it twice. The first time I was unhappy, but thought I would give them another chance since friends and family had good luck. Again bad experience. I tried to research all possible places they could place me at before I bid, but there is no real way to find out what hotels they are working with. They have a best price guarantee, but they won't back it up. I bid on a 5 star in Vegas for $101, and got The Luxor. That is not 5 star. Then found out on The Luxor website I could get the same room for $79 a night. Priceline just said tough luck. If I would have seen any reference to Luxor being an option before my bid, I never would have bid. So after being burned twice, I am done bidding on Priceline. I would consider priceline for straight booking.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Priceline Question

The advice you have already received is good -- I would not choose downtown, as there are older properties there that may not be such a bargain, other than for their proximity to the Dome, Phillips arena, aquarium, and CNN. Priceline's star system is usually a star higher than it should be -- so i always bid 4 or 5 star, and you are not guaranteed anything other than one room and one bed. But I have always immediately called the hotel directly after my bid was accepted and made sure I had 2 double beds instead of a king (which usually isnt a problem unless you are going to a city where most rooms have already been booked for a major event; when that happens, i usually book 2 rooms and still come out cheaper (or very close too) the price you would have gotten booking direct. You just have to make sure you call the hotel's FRONT DESK, as many hotels have outsourced their reservations system, and when you call that number, they will redirect you to priceline or the hotel's front desk for any changes to your reservation (which priceline will not do).

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,438 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Priceline Question

Wow, mrolfes, I can't believe Priceline thought the Luxor was five stars. I would have been livid. I think biddingfortravel.com is a great resource. The people on there have a lot of rules, the website is difficult to navigate, and the people who run it can be pretty rude. But, once you get past that it has excellent information and can really help steer you away from a disaster.

Madison
Level Contributor
135 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Priceline Question

I have a word of warning about the Hyatt Regency Downtown.

I reserved my hotel room through Priceline, telephoned 3 times during the day, explaining I would be late, due to the ball game at Turner Field, I eventually get to the hotel and they gave my room away, saying that as it was on priceline, they could not guarantee my room.

Suffice to say, I will not be using Priceline, nor the Hyatt Regency again.

What I would do is, go to the Hotel Chains website directly and see how much money you would save if you go by Priceline. Considering the amount of loyalty programs out there, it may pay you to just book through the hotel chain itself, as then you are guaranteed a room, rather than the fiasco that I endured.

Murfreesboro...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Priceline Question

Sorry I haven't responded, I accidentally put in a day off on my first post, so I am already back. I will tell about my priceline experience and trip report.

Priceline put us at the downtown Sheraton for 65 a night.Priceline classified the Sheraton as 3.5 stars. We first arrived in Atlanta, we stopped in Acworth for food and gas. Gas was available, it was just a lot more expensive than at home. We drove down and got to our exit. The hotel was easy to find. We arrived at 1 o clock and could immediately check in. The outside and the lobby were really impressive. Check in went smoothly. We were on the 10th floor of the North Tower. The room itself was ok, it was about a 2 star room with the nice beds. That was about the best bed I have ever slept in. It was a modern Sheraton bed. The view was ok, it was half obstructed by the South Tower. The hotel has the friendliest staff I have ever seen. I talked to about 15 different employees and they all smiled and went out of there way to make our stay perfect. Another thing, the Sheraton will shuttle you anywhere in town for free. We got them to shuttle us to the World of Coke. The driver was great and friendly. The World of Coke was the first tourist attraction I have went into in about the past 5 years that I have felt like I got my $15 worth for getting in. There was about 45 minutes of different movies to watch, then there was a large museum of coke memorabilia. And then there was the tasting station. All the employees at Coke were friendly too. We walked around Centennial park and the area around it, and then called the hotel shuttle. It only took him about 5 minutes to get there. He also made dinner recommendations. We weren't that hungry, so he told us about the food court at Peachtree Center. They had about 15 stalls between the two food courts in there. There were a lot of police in the mall. We then went to some of the hotels that could be accessed from the mall.We then walked back to the hotel. I used the pool, and then peeked in the exercize room. The pool and hot tub were both clean and big and the perfect temperture. I didn't use the exercise room, but it had a lot of machines. We slept good, very comfortable beds, no noises in the night. We ate breakfast in the deli, the cinnamon rolls were very good. We then headed home. Gas was very high in Dalton. The only thing that was bad about the Sheraton was the parking. It was 18 to park per day. Even though the lot is across the street, you can walk through the path that you drive into from the hotel entrance so you don't have to walk across the street. Thanks for all of the help you all gave me on price line.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
120 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Priceline Question

I have used Priceline for several stays in Atlanta over 5 years or so. I've bid for 4* in the past and received the Westin Peachtree Plaza for $45 a night. During Music Midtown! I also got the Wyndham downtown, across from the Tabernacle, during another Music Midtown event. This October I bid in Midtown for a 3*, and got the Georgian Terrace for $60 a night (though it's considered a 3.5* hotel).

I've used Priceline for a lot of traveling in general and rarely have issues with the quality of room I receive. The worst I can think of is the Peabody Resort in Orlando and Radisson in Kissimmee, Florida. I am usually impressed with the deals I get, and help my family and friends get great travel deals as well. The best has been a top-floor room in the Marriott downtown Philadelphia.

And it doesn't hurt to flash the hotel chain's reward card, even though you booked it through Priceline. They may tell you that you won't get points, but usually they appreciate that you're a member and will upgrade you if you ask.

Someone mentioned this above, but use www.biddingfortravel.com to research the areas you want to travel to and find out what hotels are available there. If you figure out the system you can save a ton of money and consistently get excellent travel bargains. I use the website every time I take a trip.

Also... to the guy who said the hotel gave away their room, there is something wrong with that. Priceline guarantees your room. It must be able to accommodate double-occupancy, and since you've already paid for it, they cannot give it away. I would've been asking for the manager and calling Priceline on that one because you got hosed. The hotel was wrong, not Priceline.

9. Re: Priceline Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 11:20