We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regency Suites in midtown or Holiday Inn Suites in Buckhead?

north carolina
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Regency Suites in midtown or Holiday Inn Suites in Buckhead?

Will be in town for a couple of days to see a Falcons game and just assumed I would stay in Buckhead to have something to do at night.

2 br suite at the Holiday Inn express on Pharr rd looked great but not walking distance to the MARTA and after reading these forums, it seems like Buckhead has gone down hill and is not what it was when I was there in the mid-90s. Unsafe???

Other option is the Regency Suites with is right beside the Midtown Marta stop and after reading these forums might be a good place to be for some bars/restaurants at night.

Used to be the gay district from what I remember but has that changed? Is it safer there than in buckhead now?

Mid 30s and well travelled but not into the nickle draft type frat bars or the hootchie mamma clubs either. Just some decent bars to have a few beers.

Anyone have any suggestions regarding these 2 hotels and/or bars.

I have been to Virginia Highlands and may take a cab over to Blind Willies, Dark Horse and/or Manuel's? Any others within walking distance to maximize the cab fare?

thanks in advance,

-Murph' from NC

KEO
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
26 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Regency Suites in midtown or Holiday Inn Suites in Buckhead?

Buckhead not as fun as it used to be and you'd have to take a cab to Marta from that hotel on Pharr.

Midtown is really happening these days, but the hotel you mentioned is terrible! It's turned young prof along with gay, but not obnoxiously so. There are better affordable options within walking distance of Midtown MARTA and cool restaurants/clubs including:

The Marriott Residence Inn on West Peachtree St., Marriot Suites on 14th St., Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center on Spring St., Hampton Inn on Spring St., Sheraton Colony Square and another hotel on Peachtree St. with a bar named Azul, don't know if hotel is named same thing, but they just completely re-did it and it's fun and hip.

Also, Atlanta is a great town to priceline.com on the weekends, put in 4 stars in Midtown for $99 and you'll get a better hotel at the same price as booking directly. You might luck out and get the 4 Seasons in Midtown, which is my favorite hotel in Atlanta.

Another option - there are some nice hotels around Lenox Mall/MARTA - Sheraton right across the street.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,634 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Regency Suites in midtown or Holiday Inn Suites in Buckhead?

Buckhead is dreadful. There's a bar called East Andrews that is OK if you find yourself stranded there.

Lots of great places in the Virginia Highland area - Highland Tap, Moe's and Joe's, Fontaines, Hand in Hand, Neighbors, Atkins Park, Blind Willie's, Limerick Juncion, Dark Horse.

If you want to check out up and coming neighborhoods, you may want to ask your cab drive to drop you off in Little Five Points or East Atlanta - both have lots of bars and restaurants in walking radius.

If in midtown, you should check out: McCray's 6th Street Tavern, Loca Luna, Halo, Midcity Cafe. There are tons of clubs in the Crescent Avenue area, but I think they're a bit hoochie (not that I don't find myself there on occasion after a few beers). Midtown still has a sizable gay population, but these places are all mixed, predominantly straight.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Regency Suites in midtown or Holiday Inn Suites in Buckhead?

Murph, I just posted a little while ago to your previous post on the tail end of another post (if that makes sense). In my very humble opinion, I would avoid the Regency Suites for now in that they are still doing renovation work and it might make a stay there not very pleasant.

These days, I'd choose spending time in Midtown or Va. High any day over Buckhead. Buckhead has plenty of shopping but I think its heydey as the bar/club place is over. The vibe has changed considerably. At night, the area seems to attract a lot of underage or barely legal folks cruising around trying to impress each other.

Midtown used to be predominantly gay but I think it is safe to say that just about everybody lives there (from single straight career folks to families with little kids) now and there are a lot of new clubs/restaurants opening up all the time. It seems like there's something new opening every time I drive through there. I wish I had enough time to try all the new restaurants.

I've always liked Virginia Highlands. Dark Horse was where I usually dropped in. Everybody's Pizza is consistently good, in my opinion. And little snobby attitude.

north carolina
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Regency Suites in midtown or Holiday Inn Suites in Buckhead?

GREATTTT HELP GUYS!!!!! This was exactly the kind of info I needed to narrow things down a little.

Decided that Midtown is more of our speed. Va-Hi sounds perfect but no hotels over there.

There are three hotel choices based on availablity/afforability:

1) Wyndham on 10th st ($140/nt plus 12/park)

2) Hampton Inn on Spring ($135/nt for suite, free park)

3) Best Western 800 block of Peachtree (near 6th st bars that JAtlanta rec) ($90/nt)

4)Marriott chain are full, 4seasons too $$$, Sheraton full

Wyndham, same price as the Hampton Inn and in a much more central location for Midtown and appears to be within walking distance to the 6th street bars yet if we want to walk north, still only coupla blocks away. Plus MARTA is close. Wyndham has some pretty bad reviews though. Is Hampton Inn on Spring St still centrally located to still walk down to 6th street?

Probably prefer to stay at the Hampton inn if all things are equal b/c it is a bigger room (2 dbls and a sleeper sofa) and free parking.

Thoughts? Thanks again...

-Murph'

ps-These forums are the best. Been to St. John USVI, Vail,Co and London, UK this year and everyone has been great.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Regency Suites in midtown or Holiday Inn Suites in Buckhead?

I've only had lunch at the Wyndham, not stayed there. You're right about the location. It is pretty darned good considering of how close you are to everything. If you do stay there, you can get a pretty good burger just down 10th street at the Vortex. Jocks n' Jills is right across from the hotel on the corner of Peachtree and 10th, a sports bar. You can walk down 10th a few blocks east to the Flying Biscuit Cafe, which I like. Piedmont Park is only a half block away from the FBC.

Park Tavern is on the edge of Piedmont Park, which is kind of a hike, but it has a nice outdoor area to enjoy a beer/glass of wine and appetizers.

I've not stayed at the Hampton but I pass it every day. It looks fine. And someone on here recently spent a weekend there with her sons (if memory serves) since they were attending a concert down at Lakewood. She said it was fine. It isn't really near anything special, though. That's the only real disadvantage to it.

KEO
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
26 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Regency Suites in midtown or Holiday Inn Suites in Buckhead?

For a sporting weekend, Wynham probably better, several other close restaurants there on 10th - Zocola, Flying Biscuit, very close to Piedmont Park and Midtown MARTA

Also 10th (kind-of) dead-ends into Virginia Ave., which takes you straight to VA Highlands so cab ride would be easy.

You should be able to get better rate than $140, last fall they had $99 on weekends at Wyndham, check Expedia or some other web-based sites for better prices.

Also cool new bar The Globe, Spring St. and 5th

north carolina
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Regency Suites in midtown or Holiday Inn Suites in Buckhead?

thanks for the advice. the Wyndham it is...

That rate is based on New Years Eve weekend rate, which I'm sure it more than ususal but I have checked every possible on line site I have ever used including their own (which has a lowest rate guarantee)

Thanks again for all of your help. Looking forward to a nice time in Hotlanta for NYE (and a Panthers win of course...)

-Murph'