We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highway GA 138

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Topic
Highway GA 138

Is anyone familiar with GA HWY 138? I am traveling from Birmingham to Brunswick GA on Christmas Day. Last year I made a similar trip (but actually came from Nashville last year) and we got hung up getting through Atlanta for about 2 hours. It could have been a freak occasion but I just was looking at a possible alternative route, and was looking at taking HWY 138 connecting 85 and 75 south of Atlanta rather than coming up to 285 and connecting. Is this a totally stupid idea? I probably am overreacting to my Atlanta experience of last Christmas, but my wife says to research a different route. Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,000 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highway GA 138

From I-20 going east get off at Chapel Hill Rd. exit and go right(south). This deadends into Ga 166. Take a left and follow road until it runs into Ga 92- take a right and follow road to South Fulton Parkway. You can take South Fulton Pkwy and it runs into I285 or continue on Ga 92 across South Fulton Pkwy and it runs into Ga 138 and will take you to I-75 south of Atlanta. Should not be bad traffic this way on Christmas day. Hope this helps! If work questions just let me know. I live west of Atlanta and take this route to go to Macon all the time.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highway GA 138

I think you encountered a freak occurence. Christmas day is probably the lightest traffic day of the year. Before you venture off into the country, I would tune your radio to 750AM about the time you get to Villa Rica (exit 5/6 in GA). They give traffic reports every 8-10 minutes, so you will have a heads-up about which interstates (if any) are having problems that day. The exit rack was talking about is in douglasville (the next major town after villa rica) so you can take his route if things are bad on 285 or 75/85 south.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highway GA 138

i agree with mike, expect very light traffic, and to quickly move though atlanta via interstate highways effortlessly. enjoy your trip!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,000 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highway GA 138

I don't think that you will have any traffic but that is the bypass route if you need it. You can dial 511 on your cell phone in Georgia for traffic info anytime.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highway GA 138

Thanks to everyone for the variety of good responses.

6. Re: Highway GA 138

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 05:26