We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

summer trip advice please

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff,Wales
Level Contributor
66 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
summer trip advice please

We are spending our summer vacation 2009 in Georgia/South Carolina and would welcome some advice about how best to spend out time. We fly in to and home from Atlanta and we have booked a house on Hilton Head for our second week. We therefore have eight days to spend travelling. We want to do the following - see Atlanta, shopping, white water rafting,Six Flags, Charleston and possibly also Savannah.We have booked our first night in Atlanta. While we are inland after rafting should we spend some time in the mountains or are there other "must do" things which we haven't thought of. We are a party of parents with 4 teenagers aged 13,17,18 & 19. We are all interested in the history of the area and enjoy outdoor life/sports. We have no great desire to go to the Aquarium or the Coca Cola Museum. Any suggestions ?

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: summer trip advice please

In what part of the summer will you be here? This is critical. Savannah/Hilton Head is HOT and extremely humid. You must also learn about insect protection that includes DEET. If you are having a week at Hilton Head, you can nicely do day trips into Savannah to enjoy all that Savannah has to offer. You will find our history and the ways in which we present it attractive and informative. You will need to take care to pace yourselves to cope with the heat. (I stress this in that my husband was from County Durham and I remember how the heat affected him when he was first exposed to it.) You would greatly enjoy the Aquarium (In spite of your plans to skip it) in Atlanta and you might also want to visit Stone Mountain State Park, just outside of Atlanta. Rafting depends on our drought situation when you are here...some of our waterways are in distress right now. The mountains - just slightly north of Atlanta - are just lovely and will be especially nice in the summer. You might consider the area around Dillard, a little town in the north Georgia mountains. We'll be delighted to welcome you.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: summer trip advice please

We prefer to raft the Ocoee which is just a few miles inside of Tennessee. I would stay in the mountains of north ga, or chattanooga for the day that you raft. The chattanooga choo choo hotel has train cars that you can sleep in as a hotel room which might be unique for your kids.

The laser show at stone mountain park would also be something your kids will remember for a long time (starts around 9:30 at night, we prefer to get there early, pack a picnic, claim our spot on the lawn, eat, and walk around the shops until the show starts). You can hike up the mountain for some outdoor fun. http://www.stonemountainpark.com/

While in atlanta consider a Braves Baseball game, also consider Six Flags White Water Park (water park - pools and slides -- not white water rafting)in Marietta - separate from six flags.

http://www.sixflags.com/national/noflash.aspx

There are several outlet malls around the atlanta area where you might like to shop : (Tanger Outlets) Locust Grove, Commerce, Buford. Mall of GA and Lenox/Phipps Malls are good.

Plug in your dates of travel early next year at this site, and see what concerts might be in town the week you are in atlanta: www.atlanta.net/Visitors/calendarevents.html

Advice for Hilton Head: buy a good map. Because of the sign ordinance (all signs are ground level) it can be very difficult to locate restaurants and businesses -- but this does add to the beauty of the island. Savannah is an easy day trip from Hilton Head.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: summer trip advice please

Forgot to mention, during you rafting trip, many of the State Parks have cabins or lodges that are very affordable, and would offer you opportunites to fish, canoe, boat, hike, learn a little history, swim (lake or pool) depending upon the park you choose:

www.gastateparks.org/net/content/page.aspx…

Your kids might enjoy an IMAX movie while shopping at one of the malls:

…about.com/od/…imax_southeast_3.htm

Or they might enjoy an old fashioned drive-in movie theater: http://www.starlightdrivein.com/

I would skip world of coke -- but the aquarium is worth the price, and the MLK Center and Atlanta History Center are good places to get a feel for the city.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,434 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: summer trip advice please

I wanted to echo the advice to raft the Ocoee. It is so much fun. I used this company, but there are plenty of others.

www.rollingthunderriverco.com

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: summer trip advice please

The two posters above hit the nail on the head for your rafting. The Ocoee was home to the 1996 kayak Olympic events so you will get your moneys worth.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: summer trip advice please

I'll be the dissenting voice on this one!

The Chatooga is more adventurous than the Ocoee and the trip is longer, from what I've been told by the rafting companies since most of them do both. The Chatooga is the border between SC and Georgia. It is a protected river, so the forest service restricts the number of rafts on the river at a time which also makes for a less crowded experience. There are 2 sections and the 2nd is the wilder of the 2. You're a short drive over to Clayton, GA, or to a few SC state parks with cabins/cottages with Oconee State Park being the closest, southcarolinaparks.com/park-finder/…750.aspx. Your dining options would be better in GA than in SC.

It will be a little more expensive, but I think it will be a more rewarding experience if you are adventurous types. We've used 2 companies that we can recommend, although Southeastern was the better one to deal with. WildWater does the Ocoee, too.

http://www.wildwaterrafting.com/

http://www.southeasternexpeditions.com/

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: summer trip advice please

I'll add that both companies do overnight trips with everything provided except sleeping bags. Some friends did this and had a great time.

8. Re: summer trip advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 23:17