We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alpharetta to Perimeter Center Terr - right across from the...

Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Alpharetta to Perimeter Center Terr - right across from the...

Help! I may be offered a transfer this week. People are telling me NOT to take it due to the Atlanta traffic. Yet, cost of living and weather and proximity to Florida is swaying me. I plan on living in Alpharetta or near it and will be driving to Perimeter Center Terr - across from the mall. My hours would probably be 8 - 430.

1. How long would it take me to drive there and back home?

2. Should I pick a different city to live in? I want newer, good schools, good community.

PLEASE give me your any bit of advice that you can!

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Florida
Florida
United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alpharetta to Perimeter Center Terr - right across from the...

Traffic in Atlanta can be bad, but if you coordinate where you live with where you work, you should be able to avoid real headaches. I live 15 miles from my office, which is within blocks of the area you'll be working. I make a reverse commute from midtown, so it's only about 30 minutes each way - sometimes just 20 minutes getting home when I work late. Coming to Dunwoody from Alpharetta, you will be traveling with heavy rush hour traffic. I have done that drive before and it is not crippling. Traffic does seem to move steadily, but a couple of time a year you may find yourself significantly delayed. I would estimate a 30 minute commute. My assistant makes this commute daily and has only been delayed 2-3 times as a result of traffic. You may want to consider looking for a place in Dunwoody. Depending on whether you have a family and whether you're looking for a house or apartment (property in Dunwoody is a bit more expensive), you may find that having the extra time for yourself each day is worth a slightly higher rent/mortgage payment. You may also want to look in the Brookhaven/Chamblee area, which would provide an easier drive avoiding major interstates. I would not live anywhere, however, that required me to take I-285.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alpharetta to Perimeter Center Terr - right across from the...

If you put the words Perimeter commute in the search box that is in the horizontal green stripe you will find several similar recent discussions about this subject.

Decatur, Ga
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Alpharetta to Perimeter Center Terr - right across from the...

Cut and paste the following URL into your browser. It will take you to the Georgia DOT website. The map will allow you to choose any of the major highways and show you historical trip times and average speed broken into 24 hour blocks. But remember they are averages and do not throw out weekends and holidays, so weekday rush hour can and will be worse.

…georgianavigator.com/www/histdata/index.jsp

That being said, the Perimiter area probably has the city's worst concentrated traffic at rush hour. To get to Alpharetta there only a few bridges over the Chattahoochie and one stalled car will shut things down real fast. If I worked at Perimiter Center, I would try to live south or east of the area.

Mentioned in this post
Georgia
Georgia
United States
Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Alpharetta to Perimeter Center Terr - right across from the...

Thanks for all the great advice! I'm looking to spend around $425,000 on a house. I have 2 kids, so school and safe neighborhood is very important. I'll definitely check out Dunwoody. Coming from Chicago I can't imagine that I would have too much of a shock over the traffice. However, everyone keeps warning me of it! It is enough to second guess me moving there.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alpharetta to Perimeter Center Terr - right across from the...

If you do look in Dunwoody, there is a definite tax advantage to buying in Dekalb County vs. Fulton County. You can check out homes by neighborhood at http://www.atlantamls.com.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alpharetta to Perimeter Center Terr - right across from the...

Atlanta traffic isn't worse than Chicago traffic. I use to live in Chicago and visit often. The traffic issue shouldn't play into your decision. Check out Roswell, just south of Alpharetta. We chose that over Alpharetta because it is closer and schools are good. I find it worth the extra taxes to live in Fulton here in Roswell because of the Parks and Recreations. Great programs for the kids. Close to the historic area you can get on to 400 by two different exits and even drive into work on Roswell Rd. So you have 3 options which are helpful depending on whats going on.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Roswell
Roswell
Georgia
USA
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alpharetta to Perimeter Center Terr - right across from the...

I will second Dunwoody for convience to Perimeter Center area and good schools and good neighborhood and lower taxes.

Further it is near Eatzis market and bakery.

Say goodbye to Chicago pizza. Say hello to BBQ.

Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Alpharetta to Perimeter Center Terr - right across from the...

Just got my offer to move to Atlanta. I will get $7500 moving allowance and have to make up my mind by Monday! I have no idea of what to do! My daughter will be in 8th grade and I know she will be extremely upset. Will she adjust?? She's pretty shy.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alpharetta to Perimeter Center Terr - right across from the...

If you're looking at houses in the low $400K range, you shouldn't have any trouble finding something in the Dunwoody area, particularly if you have only the one daughter. You could find plenty of very nice places to live in the area. A lot of people will try to convince you that you have to be in an east Cobb County or Alpharetta-area school district, but from all that I've been able to tell, the difference between those and something in the Dunwoody High/Peachtree Middle School districts would be marginal, and I personally prefer the Dunwoody area for a variety of reasons -- am looking to buy something there myself in I can manage to sell my current house. TripAdvisor's posting guidelines preclude posting URLs for commercial web sites, but if you Google "Atlanta MLS" you'll turn up the Atlanta MLS web site which will allow you to search by school district and price range. In most of the Dunwoody area, you'll be within 15 minutes or so of your prospective office location, and there are very few things you'd need to leave the area for.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alpharetta to Perimeter Center Terr - right across from the...

I think you could do well living in Dunwoody. I lived there from 1997-1998 and loved it, only moved because of my roommate needing to live in Cobb. My husband and I hope to move there next year.

What I really like about Dunwoody is that it is pretty much a stable area with a number of nice neighborhoods with wooded lots, unlike some newer neighborhoods where they've cut down all the trees. You should be able to get a decent house in your price range. The proximity to shopping and dining is also good.

Yes, traffic can really stink. But if you live close to where you work, it won't be nearly as bad as what some people endure.

I hope your move goes smoothly. My husband's relatives live in Roselle and Berwyn.