We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 night stay near the Airport, is it safe ?

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
303 reviews
Save Topic
3 night stay near the Airport, is it safe ?

Hi, Just a bit concerned as we have booked 3 nights at the Holiday Inn Express College Park near ATL, however I've been informed that the area is high in crime/possibly unsafe?. We decided to stay in the airport area as we arrive in late from the UK and that we can access the Marta for downtown attractions via the airport shuttle. We then collect our hire car a few days later before heading down to Florida.

The hotel itself has had really good reviews, however as we have the kids with us, I'm not sure. Any advice ? Thanks in advance.

moo
Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 night stay near the Airport, is it safe ?

I don't have any first hand experience of this hotel or area, but it seems most of the reviews for this hotel are positive. As they seem to have a shuttle, you should use the hotel as a base and use the shuttle to get to the nearby MARtA for your trips downtown. That being the case you would not have to worry about whether areas around the hotel are safe or not.

We have done the drive down to Florida (Orlando) a few years ago. Long drive but enjoyed it. Roads not busy like M25/M1 etc. Have a safe trip.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,631 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 night stay near the Airport, is it safe ?

I am the one who raised the crime issue. I hate to be an alarmist, and it's not a war zone or anything; it's just not somewhere that I would feel comfortable staying if I were not familiar with the city.The area around the Atlanta airport, like the areas around most airports in any city, is poorer and removed from the city. Yes, it will have MARTA access and with children you probably won't be staying out that late. However, crime is higher in this area and you will notice that other than right around the hotels clustered along the interstate exits the area is depressed and run-down. Also, you might see some people who will make you uncomfortable on MARTA later at night, when the train is used more by area residents than commuters or those going to and from the airport.

I think it would be inconvenient to travel to a place where you couldn't walk to a shop or a restaurant, and where you'd be on the outskirts, dependent on a shuttle to take you to MARTA to get to the city, a trip that at best would take 25 minutes, plus the time you spend waiting on the MARTA train, which runs less frequently on weekends.

If you're looking to save money and to stay somewhere with MARTA access, I strongly encourage you to look at hotels in the Perimeter area, which is a safe, affluent suburb north of Atlanta with every convenience and several MARTA stations. There's even a well-reviewed Holiday Inn Express at the Perimeter if you want to stick with that chain:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60898-d89421-R…

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,998 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 night stay near the Airport, is it safe ?

I think that you would be happier staying somewhere on the north side of town like Perimeter. You will have a better choice of restaurants and you can still take Marta downtown to the tourist spots.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
348 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 night stay near the Airport, is it safe ?

I have stayed in this hotel and found it ok. It was only for one night.

The hotel offers a complimentry shuttle bus to and from the airport where there is also a MARTA station which we used to go into the city.

I would advise choosing very carefully where you go especially at night we headed for Five points for something to eat and a few drinks and I felt very uncomfortable ended up eating and heading back to the hotel.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 night stay near the Airport, is it safe ?

Thanks for this. The plan is to go downtown daytime, and get something to eat before dusk, before heading back to the hotel before hiring the car in the morning and going to Stone Mountain

6. Re: 3 night stay near the Airport, is it safe ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2010, 05:22