We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Marta

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Germany
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Question about Marta

I have ticktes for the basketball game Hawks - Lakers 11/08/05. Our hotel is Sleep Inn in Buckhead and I would like to know if it is safe to use Marta to the game and back?? The game starts at 7pm. We have a car but I don´t want to drive in Downtown. This is my stay in Atlanta.

Thank you

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Marta

I am guessing that you're thinking of taking MARTA from the Lindbergh station down to the game, considering that it looks like that is the nearest station to your hotel.

Since there will be a group of you (more than one), I don't think you'd have a problem taking MARTA to the game and back as long as you don't linger downtown after the game.

The only time I really discourage people from using MARTA is when they're alone and it is really late at night.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
879 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Marta

I come from NYC - and have been on the NYC subway all times of day and night. Now I live in Atlanta and feel comfortable taking marta anytime. Sit in the first car so the conductor/operator is in the same car.

the bigger concern i would have is the wait time for the trains as they are at least 20 mins that late at night

one thing to consider, many others will also take marta to the game, so there should be plenty of other people on the train as well.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,374 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Marta

MARTA should be fairly full leaving the game, and I wouldn't have any safety concerns. In fact, I am taking it to a concert at Phillips this week. You can drive to either the Lindberg or Brookhaven MARTA station to ride to Phillips Arena. Both stations are close to Buckhead and have plenty of parking. Brookhaven may be easier for you to find - just drive north on Peachtree and it's on the right.

The route will require you to take the southbound train to Five Points MARTA station, and then to take the westbound train to the first stop, which is probably labeled the Omni station or Phillips Arena/CNN Center. As you're leaving, train run more frequently after events, so I doubt you would have a 20 minute wait.

KOC
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Marta

You'll be fine. That's an ideal situation to use MARTA.

The Hawks however are another story....

Germany
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about Marta

Thank you all.

@JAtlanta: Our hotel is very close to a Marta Station. Befor the game we will visit CNN and Coca Cola. We can pick up our tickets 1 1/2hr. befor the game (will call).

@Koc: I would like to see the Lakers ;-)