We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Martin Luther King, Jr. Historic Site safety

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Idaho
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Martin Luther King, Jr. Historic Site safety

My daughter and I will be visiting Atlanta the end of the month. We want to visit the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site. Is it safe for 2 white women to walk from the King Memorial Marta station to the site or should we take a taxi? We plan to visit about 9 a.m. Thank you for your help.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Martin Luther King, Jr. Historic Site safety

It's probably safe . . . probably. The big question is whether you'll feel safe or not, and how much your perception of safety would affect your experience. It's also a lot farther to the Historic Site from the MARTA station than you might think -- around 3/5 mile, via Decatur Street up to Boulevard and then over on Auburn Ave. (the King Center and the old Ebenezer Baptist building are closer). It's still a heavily black area, so you'll definitely be readily identifiable as tourists.

All in all, I'd probably recommend catching a taxi from the MARTA station on the way there, and then judge for yourselves whether you feel comfortable walking back.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,745 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Martin Luther King, Jr. Historic Site safety

Before I retired I took 20-30 kids on a field trip each year to the MLK Museum and Boyhood home along with a trip to the Cyclorama. We never felt unsafe or had any problems.

Idaho
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Martin Luther King, Jr. Historic Site safety

Thank you! I thought it will be better and easier to take a taxi to this site. Your answer confirmed that since we are women and are not a large group.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,389 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Martin Luther King, Jr. Historic Site safety

I think what the prior posters are saying is that it's a perfectly safe area, but your perception of safety is what will make your decision. Two people could be in the same situation and have completely different perceptions of safety. Having worked in that general area, I can tell you that I always felt safe and was surprised that I had co-workers who didn't. So go with what makes you feel comfortable.

Edited: 08 January 2010, 20:36
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,745 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Martin Luther King, Jr. Historic Site safety

Yes perfectly safe and taken friends who have been visiting during the day to MLK, Oakland Cemetery, Carter Center and Cyclorama.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Martin Luther King, Jr. Historic Site safety

To clarify my earlier comments slightly -- I don't regard the immediate vicinity of the King Historical Site, the King Center, etc. (i.e., most of Auburn Avenue) as unsafe. I don't think driving to those sites to visit them would be in the least unsafe. I do think, however, that a pair of women walking from the MARTA station to the King Historical Site might feel uncomfortable, and that the walking route takes you through areas that probably, objectively, aren't as safe as Auburn Ave. itself.

Kennesaw, GA
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Martin Luther King, Jr. Historic Site safety

Perfectly safe? So there's no crime at all in the area? Let's not over state this. Also it's different for someone who lives in the area than it is for tourists. Tourists are often targeted by criminals for several reasons. I woudn't want women that I know walking around the area alone. Let's not get politically correct (and I'm not saying this is the case here) at the expense of someone's safety or at least their enjoyment while here.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,745 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Martin Luther King, Jr. Historic Site safety

I will clarify that with a group of students we always park very close to the site and when I take visitors/friends we also always park in the museum parking lot and I go in the middle of the day. There is always a number of Atlanta police officers there as well as park rangers. I would not ride MARTA or walk in the area but driving to the area and parking at the museum is fine.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,389 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Martin Luther King, Jr. Historic Site safety

She's made her decision and gotten the advice she needed. Let's not get into a contentious discussion arguing about stereotypes or political correctness.

N. GA
Level Contributor
475 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Martin Luther King, Jr. Historic Site safety

Something else I thought of..... it may be rather chilly during your visit. I see you are from Oregon ( I was born in Idaho, but my blood is "southern " now:-) and walking a distance in the cold may not be a factor in your decision, Enjoy your visit and start practicing your ya'll's!