We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATL Quick Trip - Recommendations Needed

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Asbury Park, New...
Level Contributor
107 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
ATL Quick Trip - Recommendations Needed

Hello, I will be visiting ATL in a few weeks. I need some area recommendations.

We are staying near the Buckhead Station Shopping Center. The first night, we need a good restaurant recommendation. It doesn't have to be near where we are staying, as I assume cabs are plentiful. Can be mid-upscale in price range.

The following night we are going to see a show at the Fox at 8pm, so we'd like to grab a meal and drinks before hand. We will both be dressed very casually for this show, so nothing fancy. Is there something close to the Fox that we can just walk to?

We will have one full day in ATL to explore and are wondering which "thing to do" we should check out? The Coke Museum? The Zoo? CNN Tour? We've done the Aquarium and Braves games before so are looking for other suggestions.

Thanks!

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
147 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATL Quick Trip - Recommendations Needed

If you're at that block of Peachtree which we locals call Tower Place...and depending on what you want, at Peachtree Street and Maple Drive in Buckhead is McKinnon's Louisienne, with everything from steaks to fish and you can have the Louisiana touch if you want. My favorite place to eat in Buckhead. That's walking distance from you I would think.

Directly across from the Fox is the Georgia Terrace Hotel and the Livingston Restaurant www.livingstonatlanta.com I think,, and one block away is Baraonda www.baraondaatlanta.com - less expensive and a little more casual. I've eaten there and like it.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATL Quick Trip - Recommendations Needed

You have some really good dining options in Buckhead, especially since you've mentioned that it doesn't have to be right where you are staying. Woodfire Grill, in my opinion, is the best of the bunch. I don't know your price range, and this is probably the most expensive of the suggestions. After that, I really, really like Nava (fantastic take on southwestern food) and Antico Posta (intimate, high end Italian). For sushi/Asian fusion, you can't go wrong with BluePointe. Tom Colicchio's restaurant Craft is close (and drinks at the nearby St. Regis would be fun). I My take on Craft is that it is quite good but really expensive, and the others I listed are generally just as good and not quite as expensive. You should also consider Restaurant Eugene and Kyma

If you're not confining your choices to Buckhead, I still would recommend Woodfire Grill and Nava, but would suggest that you also investigate Rathbun's, Serpas, Shaun's, One Midtown Kitchen, Agave, 4th & Swift.

For dinner before the show, my top suggestion would be the Vortex. The Livingston, though quite good, is a bit formal. The Vortex is a dive and has amazing burgers. Lupe is casual, and does a great version of Mexican street food. I like Bake Shop for soup/sandwiches. Ecco is excellent for more upscale Mediterranean, and any stylish attire would be fine there (not shorts, t-shirt & sneakers, etc). For pub food, Engine No. 11 and Cypress Pint & Place are both close (but Vortex is better).

As an aside - are you going to a concert? In my experience, people are casual for concerts at the Fox, but tend to dress up for plays, musicals,etc., so you might want to keep that in mind in deciding what to wear.

Edited: 01 June 2010, 14:20
Asbury Park, New...
Level Contributor
107 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATL Quick Trip - Recommendations Needed

I am going to see Conan O'Brien and will be wearing his tshirt. :) LOL, so when I say casual, I mean CASUAL. I need to be able to walk into a restaurant that night in jeans/tshirt/flip flops. So thank you for all the more casual suggestions. :) Sounds like y'all gave me a good many fancier ones too for our one dress-up night out.

Asbury Park, New...
Level Contributor
107 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATL Quick Trip - Recommendations Needed

Any tips on what to do there during the day? We'll basically have all day there until about 4-ish. Besides the Aquarium, what else would you say is a MUST do?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATL Quick Trip - Recommendations Needed

I'll be at the Conan show too. I'm so excited. It's the last stop on his tour, so hopefully he'll be in rare form. The Fox is a fantastic place to see a show like that. The Vortex is our usual go-to place for pre-show dinner & drinks. My one pointer would be to get to the Fox early if you want a drink before the show, because the bar lines are LONG.

Before the show, for touristy things to do, my favorite is the aquarium, which would allow you to walk around Centennial Park too. World of Coke and CNN Center are in the same area, but I've never toured either.

If you're at all interested in history you may like the Atlanta History Center, the Cyclorama, or Oakland Cemetery. The MLK national park, birthplace, neighborhood tour is an option as well. If you just want to hang out, I would suggest walking around the Virginia Highland area, Little Five Points, or downtown Decatur. All are eclectic, pedestrian friendly areas with lots of independent shops, restaurants, and bars.

Asbury Park, New...
Level Contributor
107 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATL Quick Trip - Recommendations Needed

Ah, a fellow Conan fan! I am SO excited. I've been reading his tour blog and every show has sounded AWESOME. I think we will be in for a treat given that its the last stop on the tour, like you said. I cannot WAIT to see who the special guests/musical acts are going to be! I think our seats are in the "pit" so are those pretty decent?

Good tip on getting there early. My husband isn't as big a Conan fan as me and he wanted to know what the drink situation would be. haha

My girlfriend that is a native ATL girl (but now lives in FL) also suggested the Vortex too so i guess that is where we will go.

I went to the Aquarium a few years ago so I'm not sure we'll do that again. I think we are def. going to do the Coke Museum for sure and I sent links to my husband on some of the other ones you mentioned. I had another friend that brought up the High Museum of Art also.

I have been to Virginia Highlands, Little Five Points & Decatur several times. SUCH cute areas. My BFF used to live in Decatur actually. I think we'll probably just tool around in Buckhead though....I don't live near big shopping so maybe I can convince my hubs to go with me.

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it. Its also nice to get the insiders guide before traveling :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATL Quick Trip - Recommendations Needed

No problem. I travel a lot - at least once a month - and would be lost without Tripadvisor.

Sounds like your Conan seats are good. Don't know where ours are. The Fox is a fairly small venue, so there aren't many bad seats. I saw Chelsea Handler there several weeks ago, and they had huge screens on the side of the stage, so even if you weren't close you could see everything that was going on.

Re: the High Museum, it's a spectacular building, and has some excellent visiting exhibitions. I have never found its permanent collection that compelling, though. Plan your visit around whether you like the visiting collection.

Asbury Park, New...
Level Contributor
107 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATL Quick Trip - Recommendations Needed

Yes, I heart Trip Advisor. I use it everytime I travel also.

Oooh, I wanted to go see Chelsea Handler! Was she good? I've read all her books and watch her show. Maybe next tour.

My friend said that the car exhibit at the HMOA looked really cool, so I think we may go to that.

Maybe we will see y'all at the Vortex!

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
147 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATL Quick Trip - Recommendations Needed

Pit seating at the Fox means that they have raised the orchestra lift to floor level in the orchestra pit just in front of the stage, covered up the pipe organ console, and are seating people in the place where the orchestra sits for the Broadway and Opera productions. So you'll be "in front of" the front rows right in front of the stage. Good seats, indeed.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,346 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATL Quick Trip - Recommendations Needed

The automobile exhibit at the High closes 6/27 unless it gets extended again.

Edited: 04 June 2010, 19:06