We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cuban sandwich shop

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Topic
cuban sandwich shop

has any one else ever been to this restaurant? it's located at the corner of north druid hills road and buford hwy, a very busy intersection. were the food not so good here i can assure you i wouldn't make the 50 mile trip down there from here. delicious black beans with a havana flavor all their own. hard cuban bread with tender delicious roasted pork. this is a great cuban sandwich others imitate but i can't say ever quite match. the facility might not be up to your standards but they make a grand sandwich!

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cuban sandwich shop

As I said before, you seem to be know about many of our favorite spots. If must be the same one we like on Buford Highway that looks like a hole in the wall. We've been going off and on for about five years. The flan is good too.

Our favorite restaurant anywhere in Georgia is the Country Gentleman in Rome. Their speciality is seafood and Italian although everything I've ever had on the menu has been good. We have been going there for over twenty years and it is always consistent.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cuban sandwich shop

well it's been a very very long time but yes i've been to the country gentleman in rome too! they used to have delicious italian as well as steaks. haven't been in years but yes the brown bagging memory is stil there. there was a place across the road that had the better steaks if memory serves me correctly. do they still brown bag at the country gentleman?

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cuban sandwich shop

next you'll tell me you know about paul's oyster bar on the way west out of rome.......

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cuban sandwich shop

BBQ, if you are a fan of the Cuban sandwich, you might want to check out Kool Korners. It's in a little grocery/shack on 14th Street a block or so down from Bobby and June's. I promise you they sell sandwiches! ;-)

I wouldn't make a trip just for Kool Korners because the owner only opens when he feels like it from 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Stop by if you're passing through, though. I've heard it's one of the city's best kept secrets.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cuban sandwich shop

It has been a long time since you were at Country Gentleman's since they moved to a different location about 10 years ago on the other side of town. (Not sure how long, but a long time.) Yes, I have been to Paul's Oyster Bar too but that was a very long time ago.

The steak place you are talking about is DiPrimas but I don't think they are in business any longer. I can't find them listed in my phone book. Country Gentleman has good steaks but I wouldn't say it is their speciality.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cuban sandwich shop

I just read your question about brown bagging. Since I don't know what you mean the answer may be no. Next time I see Elaine, one of the owners, I'll ask her about it.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cuban sandwich shop

by brown bagging i mean taking a bottle of whiskey in a brown bag into the restaurant and getting served set ups or cocolars to cut the taste.that way the restaurant avoids the liquor lisencing.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cuban sandwich shop

Now they have a liquor license and have a bartender.

Dalton,
Level Contributor
96 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cuban sandwich shop

this is a true hole in the wall but they make an outstanding cuban. fresh hot and delicious i wish i had one of their hot roast pork sandwiches right now.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
10 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cuban sandwich shop

Love the Havana restaurant - I've been going there for years. The sandwiches are awesome, but the other plates are outstanding, too. Be prepared to stand in line during peak periods. Parking is good, plenty of additional spots in the back. This is easy to access from 85 from the North Druid Hills exit.