We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
NapTown
Level Contributor
122 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Atlanta to Spinger Mountain.

My parents would love to hike a mile on the Appalachian Trail.

My dad is a Disabled Vet and cant walk much more than a mile.

Is there a way to get them to the start of the trail?

We are driving from ATL to springer mountain. I havent been able to find any info on springer mountain.

Thanks for your help..

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlanta to Spinger Mountain.

The start of the AT on Springer Mountain is a 5 mile hike on the AT approach trail from Amicalola Falls State Park.

If he just wants to hike on the AT, there are many other direct access points in Ga, NC, TN or Va.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlanta to Spinger Mountain.

Amicaolola Falls State Park is a lovely place to visit and the usual starting place for thru-hikers (or people who think they're going to be thru-hikers), but as Art mentioned you have to hike five miles to get to the starting point, and they aren't five easy ones. I may be wrong, but I think the first place the AT crosses a highway is way up by Suches, Georgia, more than an hour and a half from Atlanta. You could potentially mix that in with activities in Dahlonega and Amicalola for a worthwhile day trip. Still a pretty long drive, though.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlanta to Spinger Mountain.

Look into this hike:

…blogspot.com/2008/10/preachers-rock.html

http://www.examiner.com/x-16985-Atlanta-Outdoor-Adventure-Examiner~y2009m7d16-Take-a-hike-and-go-to-church

I'd also drive to Neels Gap to visit the Walasi-Yi Center:

http://georgiatrails.com/trails/appal3.html

Have fun

Roswell, GA
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlanta to Spinger Mountain.

RK,

There is another way. US Forest Service Road 42 will put you on the AT 0.9 miles north of Springer Mtn. You'll need a vehicle that can handle Forest Service dirt roads.

From GA Hwy. 52 in Cartecay (12.1 miles west of Amicalola Falls State Park or 7.4 miles east of Ellijay), turn north on Roy Road between Methodist Church and Stanley's Grocery and go 9.7 miles to end of road. Turn right and go 2.2 miles to Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church (these are paved roads). Turn right onto gravel USFS Road #42 and go 6.8 miles to the parking area on north side of road. Springer Mountain is across the road from the parking area.

Good Luck, and thank your Dad for serving his country,

Ellijay
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlanta to Spinger Mountain.

The area around Neel's gap has been temporarily closed to overnight camping because of increased bear activity. Day hiking is still open. There are some other affected areas on some other trails and it is recommended to stay on the main trails. Whatever, you need to check with the ranger station or the center at Neel's Gap maybe to get the latest scoop on what is going on.

6. Re: Atlanta to Spinger Mountain.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2010, 07:25