We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suite hotel needed--Atlanta Marriott Suites Midtown?

nj
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Suite hotel needed--Atlanta Marriott Suites Midtown?

We're traveling at the end of August with our 8 and 11 1/2 year olds and are looking for a suite hotel. The Marriott Suites Midtown seems to get good reviews but is it really only King and sofabeds? Not sure that will cut it for us. If we do decide to go with it, how is the location? Is it within walking distance to any of the major attractions--aquarium, Coke, CNN, zoo, Turner Field, Fernbank, Centennial Park?

If we decide to look for something else, are there any recommendations for suite hotels with a pool? We're definitely looking to stay within the city. Also, what are the major differences between staying in downtown versus midtown?

Thanks! :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,598 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suite hotel needed--Atlanta Marriott Suites Midtown?

For the differences between the neighborhoods, please read the Sticky at the top of the forum, which should give you a good idea of what to expect.

The Marriott in midtown is a good location - close to Marta, a walkable neighborhood, lots of restaurants in that area. Most of the attractions you mention are downtown.

You really should look at a map to plan out your itinerary. A midtown hotel would not be within walking distance of the attractions you list, but you can easily take MARTA downtown to the aquarium, World of Coke, CNN Center, and Centennial Park. You'd need to drive to Fernbank & the Zoo. You can take MARTA to the Five Points station and take a shuttle bus to Turner Field, but since there are 4 in your party I'd just drive and park near the field. The area around Turner Field is definitely not somewhere you want to be walking or lodging unless it's around game time.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
346 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suite hotel needed--Atlanta Marriott Suites Midtown?

I stayed in a suite at this hotel a few years ago. I really liked the experience, but our room did only have a kig bed and a sofa bed. I don't recall the sofa bed being terribly uncomfortable, but no sofa bed is ideal.

As said before, staying here is not walking distance to the things you mention. If that is important to you, there are hotels around Centenial Park that may be better for you such as The Omni, Hilton Garden Inn, Embassy Suites, Glenn Hotel, W...

nj
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suite hotel needed--Atlanta Marriott Suites Midtown?

It seems like a good hotel and the location seems good, despite not being within walking distance of the attractions. It's tough to find a hotel that has suites and a pool (which the kids really like) outside of downtown and even those that are downtown don't seem to be that well-reviewed. I think we'll go for it for now and keep looking. Thanks for the help!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suite hotel needed--Atlanta Marriott Suites Midtown?

There are two Residence Inns (Marriott) in Midtown ("Historic" and "17th Street") that each have both one and two bedroom suites. Both are within easy walking distance of the Woodruff Arts Center, Piedmont Park, and the Atlanta Botanical Garden, as well as the Midtown and Arts Center MARTA stations. I don't think either has a pool, though.

The Artmore Hotel across the street from the Arts Center station also has two bedroom suites and is usually pretty reasonably priced. It's in a 1920s-era Spanish Mediterranean-style old apartment building -- it's more of a boutique-type hotel, and might not be exactly the style of place you'd think of first with kids, but it's hard to beat the location, and a two-bedroom suite there is often $40-$50/night less than the Residence Inns. It doesn't, however, have a pool.

5. Re: Suite hotel needed--Atlanta Marriott Suites Midtown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2010, 05:16