We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopover in Perry?

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Stopover in Perry?

My family and I are flying into Atlanta from the UK then driving down to Florida. Can anyone recommend a place for a 1 night stopover in GA enroute? Perhaps Perry or a little further south?

Many thanks

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopover in Perry?

If you are driving down Interstate 75, then you might want to consider Cordele (a little south of Perry) or Tifton. There is a Holiday Inn in Tifton right off of the Interstate that looks okay -- Perry, Cordele and Tifton all have Hampton Inns, which is a hotel chain I often stay in when I travel for business. They are the value end of the Hilton chain, and mind you, not luxurious, but they are clean, mostly newly redecorated, with great beds -- and really quite nice. They also have a free breakfast -- pastries and such, and decent coffee, although you might find it a bit weak. And -- wireless internet access is free, if that's of interest. Their Web site is www.hamptoninn.com.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopover in Perry?

I don't know how far south into Florida you'll be going but Perry is only a little more than 2 hours south of Atlanta. Assuming you want to break up the drive, you might want to go further south on the first leg of your drive. Heading down I-75, Valdosta (near the Florida state line) is about 4 hours from Atlanta. It has a lot of lodging options and a number of outlet shoppng centers.

If you're headed to the east coast of Florida, a stopover in Savannah or in the "Golden Isles" (e.g., St. Simons Island) may be more interesting to you and your family and you can proceed down the Florida east coast on I-95.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stopover in Perry?

I think ATLlaw has a good point about staying in Valdosta. When I was a teenager and my youth group would go by bus to Florida, we'd usually stop in Valdosta overnight and then drive the rest of the way the next day.

From looking at Valdosta hotel reviews, the Country Inn and Suites has gotten consistently good marks. But there are plenty of hotels that would probably be fine.

ireland
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Stopover in Perry?

We did this drive in may 2005. If possible drive further south as there isn't much in Perry & it would make for a very long drive the next day & the Interstate can get very boring after a couple of hours driving down. you should try getting a route map on mapquest.com which may help you find a place further down to stay.If you do decide to stay in perry I would not recommend the Quality Inn.

Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stopover in Perry?

Thanks to all of you for taking the time and trouble to share your ideas.Our flight lands at around 1.30pm so we should certainly be on the road for around 3.Four hours later would put us around Valdosta, just about time for tea!From there we have got five nights in Orlando then it's off to Clearwater.I had originally booked five nights-listen to this-I booked the Howard Johnson via their website for just $20 a night!! I guess it must have been a mistake but I phoned the reservations office to check and it was all okay-tho the person I spoke to did seem a little surprised! I just hope they honour the price when we turn up!However I've panicked a bit since reading some stories about what it can be like there over the Easter break.So...I think we'll just do two nights there and go down to Naples for a few nights;booked a hotel after reading rave reviews here.God I love this website! Thanks again for your help and have a Happy and Peaceful New Year,everyone.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stopover in Perry?

Not sure you'll find any tea in Valdosta :-) But it is a good stopping point -- just north of the Florida line. If you have time to kill the next morning, there is a park there calld Wild Adventures -- I hear that it is pretty good. You can look them up at www.wild-adventure.com.

I can't believe you got a room for $20/night. What does that make it? 10 pounds? Ha ... and to think what it costs us to come to the UK.

Have a lovely time!

Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stopover in Perry?

LOL.Kona-I should point out that in this context,we use "tea" to mean dinner but taken at about 6pm!On reflection I think we'll go for a stopover in Tifton;3 hours driving might be just about enough after a long flight via Amsterdam.The hotel seems to be an absolute steal-I got it via the Sidestep website which in turn directed me to the Howard Johnson site.$20 a night-what a bargain;my only concern is that when we arrive they might say it was a mistake and charge me the $148 rack rate!I must brush up on Florida consumer law before we travel.Speaking of bargains, what about this;my wife and 2 kids went to London this week.We got two rooms at the Travelodge in Covent Garden for just £10 each room.Yep!Definitely worth a look at their site if you ever come over;apparently the company intends to persue a very aggressive price cutting strategy in 2006.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stopover in Perry?

You know, I've heard "tea" used that way -- recently by a child who entertained me on a trip from London out to Salisbury or somewhere ... Visit you once in a while but it is a bit pricey ... although 10 pounds for the travelodge is a steal. I generally think of tea in terms of 'high tea', ... I suppose because we have it so often ;-).

I think you'll be fine with the $20 rate...as far as I know, they can't make you pay more when you get there. Florida is an interesting state -- you will find sales tax & fuel is high (well, high for the US) in most places b/c, of course, their main industry is tourism. But you don't have to pay tax on food at the grocery or on drugs (even over the counter).

Where are you staying in Tifton? It is quite close to Valdosta & the Florida line, as well -- maybe an hour -- so you'll still be closer than Perry.

Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stopover in Perry?

Well, K, on your recommendation I think we'll go for the Hampton Inn-I've never stayed at one of those before.The exchange rate isn't as good as it was but luckily I stock piled $'s earlier this year at a rate of 1.85 to the £ so we are guaranteed good value.In particular I am looking forward to buying petrol(gas);over here the price has gone down so we only pay about $7 a gallon at the moment!We were in Florida last year and couldn't resist going back in '06.Flights into Orlando cost a fortune at Easter so for us the best way is into Atlanta then a drive.I don't suppose you know much about New York, do you? I'm having a short break there in February!BTW, there's just 2 hours of 05 left over here, so Happy New Year!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stopover in Perry?

Happy New Year to you! Hope you like the Hampton Inn -- it's a pretty consistent product, I find -- that's why I like it. Plus Hilton points. I can't say I feel too sorry for you about the exchange rates but yes, I suppose our gas will be much much cheaper than yours! I have to keep telling myself that as ours keeps going up (though it's a bit better now).

New York -- don't know too much. I am in and out of there for business so I know the airports better than anything. Going next weekend as a matter of fact ... to New Jersey really, but to the city for the weekend. Anything specific you want me to check out?