We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1.5 Days in Atlanta in March - things must do !!!

UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1.5 Days in Atlanta in March - things must do !!!

Passing through Atlanta in March will only have one and half days to sightsee. What are the things we must do/see ?

Do we need to keep our rental car or can we get around on public transport ok ?

Have read on this site places to stay either Midtown or Buckhead - any hotel recommendations would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1.5 Days in Atlanta in March - things must do !!!

Since you're only going to be here a day and a half, I'd stick near the city and not rent a car. Especially if you get a decent hotel near a MARTA station, Atlanta's train system.

Both Midtown and Buckhead are good places to stay. I'm not sure if you can use Priceline or Hotwire to book a hotel since you're in the UK. That's a good way to get a nice hotel room for less money. Marriott Suites in Midtown is a good hotel in a nice location, for starters. Hotel Indigo is a fun boutique-type hotel that's also nice.

The new "must do" in Atlanta is to visit the brand new Georgia Aquarium, the largest in the world. I haven't gotten there yet but everybody I know who has can't stop raving about it. You'll want to book tickets in advance, however, as lots of folks are going to see it. Go to www.georgiaaquarium.com to book tickets and get info. You can get there easily by taking MARTA.

The Aquarium is right across from Centennial Park, where the 1996 Olympics were held. You can walk over to CNN Center, home of the international broadcasting center, and take a tour.

You can also take MARTA to Five Points and visit World of Coke, which has a cool museum of sorts. You have to walk through Underground Atlanta (a shopping mall of sorts) to get there. While it's fine during the day, I would not hang around Underground after dark.

In Midtown, you can always visit the High Museum of Art (easy to get to via MARTA), which just reopened after an addition to the galleries. Piedmont Park, Atlanta's largest park, is also easy to walk to and if the weather is nice, very pleasant.

Buckhead has loads of shopping, if that's something you enjoy.

Let us know if you have more specific questions.

UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 1.5 Days in Atlanta in March - things must do !!!

Thanks for the info Peachyswan.

Yes I can check out Priceline and Hotwire for hotels. Have already had a look at Marriott and also Hampton Inn Midtown.

Deffinately want to go to the Aquarium, and shopiing in USA is a firm favourite with the English !!!!

Will be back with more questions later, thanks again

Belgium
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1.5 Days in Atlanta in March - things must do !!!

Well i'm from Belgium and have lived in Atlanta.

Been in England too several times so i think i know where you can spend a nice evening.

If you guy's are looking for a few nice beers and some pool and chats you might go take a look at the Hott Dawgs Sportsbar in Morrow on Maddox road..10 minutes from the airport.

You can easely find directions on maporama.com

Its a nice place and everybody likes to chat and play a game of pool.

Hope you all have a great staying in Atlanta and know i still mis Atlanta very much.

Theo touristsupport.be