We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girls trip, leaving Friday. Need HELP!

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
knoxville tennessee
Level Contributor
164 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Girls trip, leaving Friday. Need HELP!

I've looked all through the forum and have heard numerous times that Buckhead isnt safe. Our hotel is the Embassy near buckhead and I am now wondering if we should switch. We dont like to drive and usually cab it. We like to find 80's and hip hop music. We dont usually sit and sip we like to dance. I dont want to go somewhere where I am everyones moms age. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,374 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girls trip, leaving Friday. Need HELP!

I don't think it's dangerous to stay in Buckhead. I just think that walking around late at night through the bar district isn't a good idea. My secretary was literally crushed and trampled (trapped face down between a parked car and the curb) by a mob of people running from the police one evening.

I think there are plenty of places in Midtown that would fit your bill. Leopard Lounge draws a diverse crowd age-wise and has a hopping dance floor. Eleven50 is a little more upscale and plays mostly electronic and trance style music. Lava Lounge and the Cosmopolitan have house DJs and busy dance floors. I would think you could ask your cab driver to drop you off on Crescent Avenue (all of these places are within a block) and club hop until you find what suits you. You'll have more options in the Crescent Avenue area of Midtown than anywhere else. Most places in Buckhead are more hip hop and draw a very young crowd these days.

If you stay in Buckhead, you're only about 10-15 minutes from Midtown. Traffic will be bad on a weekend night, though, so it might take longer.

Late last year I had a client stay at the Buckhead Embassy Suites, and he was very pleased with the hotel. It has a nice lobby and is well-located if you want to do some shopping during the day.

If proximity to the nightlife is your goal, though, you may think about switching to midtown.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girls trip, leaving Friday. Need HELP!

I wouldn't change hotels. Buckhead itself, in my opinion, is pretty safe. And you can't beat the shopping/dining.

The times it can get unsafe are in the clubs when it gets fairly late and people are trying to get in those last few drinks. That's when "personal beefs" can become more dangerous and things get out of hand. There's also more young people cruising, despite the ordinance against it.

In Buckhead's defense, I think the business people in that area are trying to turn this around.

I'm in my mid-30s and don't go to clubs very often. But when I do, it is in Midtown. I just prefer that area.

knoxville tennessee
Level Contributor
164 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girls trip, leaving Friday. Need HELP!

This is very helpful, I'm hoping to get everyone to switch to Midtown. We usually DO stay out late. THANK YOU!!