We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help!

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
742 posts
Save Topic
Need Help!

Can anyone advise, we are traveling to Wadley AL, from Calgary AB for a family reunion July 8th to 18th. We will flt into Atlanta and drive to Wadley for 4 days. We would love to stay at a lake front place on the way back to Atlanta for 4-5 days. I picture a house rental on a lake with fishing and swimming. I do not know the area at all. What would be a neat stop over for 4 days with a possible VRBO rental?

Thanks so much

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,745 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help!

There are several lakes in the area with private home rentals- Lake Wedowee, Lake Martin and Lake Logan Martin- all in Alabama.

Also Lake Eufala has an Alabama state park with lodges and cabins.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
742 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help!

Thanks,

what would be the closest town near Lake Wedowee to rent a car to drive back to Atlanta airport after a few days on the lake?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,745 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help!

Closest major town would be Anniston/Oxford, Alabama. It would be about a 30-45 minute drive. Lake Wedowee is in a rural area in eastern Alabama.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
742 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help!

Thank you so much, how about the next biggest? I went to Hotwire and its $120 a day to rent a car! I know it will be more to rent at one location and drop off at a different location ( Atlanta airport) What would be the next bigger town?

Thanks so much

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,745 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help!

Then you would need to go to Atlanta which is about 90 minutes away or Birmingham which is about the same distance.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,374 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help!

It sounds like you want to rent a car, drop it off near your lake house, spend a few days at the lake, then pick up a car nearby for your drive to your reunion. I don't think it's realistic to go to the lake without a car. I think you'll need the rental car for your entire trip.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
742 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Help!

ok, so if I'm flying into Atlanta and family is picking us up and driving to Wadley for a family reunion, then after 4 days we want to go to the lake, so where near Wadley would be a close rental place that we could grab the car then return to Atlanta airport.

Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,745 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Help!

I think there is an Enterprise Rental car company on South Quintard Ave. in Anniston, Al. That would be the closest to Wadley and Lake Wedowee.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Help!

im pretty sure Enterprise is the one rental car compnay that doesnt let you cross state lines--you might check on that--logistically youd be alot better off renting a car in Atlanta and returning it when your done--it sure wont cost 120/day,more like 2-300/week,and no drop off charges

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,374 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Help!

I think you just have to tell Enterprise in advance if you're crossing state lines. I've driven rental cars to Alabama a number of times. Maybe I was an outlaw.