We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlanta in October

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Atlanta in October

I am thinking about taking my gf to Atlanta for her birthday (she has never been and wants to go). However, I have never been to Atlanta during the beginning of October (when her birthday is). I am basically looking to know, what the weather is like? Are there any events going on around October 8th/9th)?

I have been to Atlanta many times so I want to take her to the Coca-Cola museum (havent been to the new one yet), Stone Mountain (stay for the fireworks), Underground, Atlanta Aquarium, etc.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlanta in October

If you don't want your gf to break up with you, skip Underground.

Review the Things to Do tab to the left, but generally I'd recommend the aquarium (Georgia Aquarium), Piedmont Park, Oakland Cemetery, walking along Peachtree through midtown, the Virginia Highland neighborhood.

For weather, it's what you'd expect, but check weather.com or weatherunderground.com for historical data. For events, check accessatlanta.com closer to your date of travel.

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlanta in October

Yeah I kinda remember Underground being a "no frills" kinda place, but I thought it got better. Out-of-curiousity, whats going on with it?

How bout Stone Mountain? Is it nice there around that time of year? Packed? Was evening thinking about venturing a lil further north for some white-water rafting, even though I know the rainy season is long over.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlanta in October

You can read the reviews here:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60898-d10…

Underground is safe enough during the day, but dingy. If you're staying nearby, you can walk through to satisfy your curiosity, but it is crawling with homeless people and buyers and sellers of fake designer purses. I had to park in the Underground parking deck last week, and had to notify the attendant that someone had urinated in the elevator. She did not register any surprise, which is pretty much a metaphor for the Underground Experience.

Over the years there have been a number of attempts to clean up Underground but they have never been successful. It's just not an area where successful, respectable businesses want to go.

You can read the reviews of Stone Mountain under the Things to Do tab as well. My best advice is to get a good overview of what the area offers, and to ask us more specific questions once you have a general idea of what you want to do.

Edited: 13 June 2011, 18:01
Cairo
Level Contributor
2 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlanta in October

The weather in Oct should be great! Try not to stay in downtown unless you love traffic! I stay on the southside when I go and that seems to keep me out of some of the Madness in town!!The Fernbank museum is great! They have lifesize dino skeletons along with a lot of neat exhibits! Not to expensive and a lot to see!

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlanta in October

You may want to check out Oktoberfest in Helen GA as you venture north for rafting. The State Fair in Perry (South GA if coming up I-75) is in October:

http://www.georgianationalfair.com/

The Laser show at Stone Mtn is Saturdays only in October.

If you are into scary stuff, our haunted house is consistently rated #1 or 2 in the country: http://www.fearworld.com/

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
205 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atlanta in October

If you want to get out of the city, check out the Georgia state park site at http://www.gastateparks.org/, because there are always special events going on in October. The suburbs around Atlanta will have a number of festivals and events going on too; I don't have specifics right now but I work at one of them and we have to book our demonstrators/performers 'way in advance because there are always so many other events going on at the same time. Check the event listings at www.ajc.com just before your trip.

If you plan to go north into the mountains for rafting, etc., book your hotel NOW, because they fill up months in advance, especially the ones around Helen. However, my family avoids Helen during Oktoberfest because there is just too much traffic for us. If you do go to Helen, make sure to stop at Hofer's Bakery & Cafe and get bread or pastries. I like to eat in the cafe but not enough to wait in the long lines at that time of year.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
205 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atlanta in October

Oh, and you asked about weather. I assume you want to know what type of clothes to bring.

Thinking back to last October, for outdoor events i would pack jeans and a short sleeve shirt plus a warm jacket or sweater to layer over it. Also have a raincoat available. You may start out wearing both the sweater and raincoat in the morning and shed them both by mid-afternoon, then need them again that evening.

8. Re: Atlanta in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 03:16