We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlanta nightlife

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
seattle
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Atlanta nightlife

Will be in a conference at Georgia Tech in March, what are some good places to go at night?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlanta nightlife

JAtlanta is much better at the nighlife questions than I am but I'll get it started.

Midtown and Virginia-Highlands are two areas I recommend. Fairly safe and plenty of dining/club options for you to choose from. Midtown is the closest to Ga. Tech.

I would avoid Underground Atlanta at night unless you go with a group.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlanta nightlife

Yeah, an armed group.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
1,134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlanta nightlife

fatt matt's rib shack for bbq beer and blues. and then blind willies for more blues.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlanta nightlife

A lot of this will depend on your age, your taste in music, whether you want to go clubbing or hang out in pubs or neighborhood bars or go lounging, etc. Are you looking for live music, techno, hip-hop, etc? What sort of crowd do you want to see - the beautiful people, urban/hip-hop, country, alternative, casual or upscale? Wine, beer or cocktails? If you can give some direction I can make more specific recommendations.

As it is, Georgia Tech is next to a club/lounge I really like - Halo. http://www.halolounge.com/ The food's surprisingly good there as well. I also like a restaurant called The Globe near Ga. Tech. http://www.globeatlanta.com/

A great new British-style pub just opened on North Avenue, which is in the Ga Tech area, called The Spotted Dog. This is going to be my new favorite place.

If dancing's your thing (it's usually not mine unless I've had a lot to drink) then Compound is close and really popular (but generally younger): http://www.compoundatl.com

I spent most of my time, by far, in the Virgina Highland neighborhood, which has many comfortable neighborhood bars you can wander in and out of. If dancing's more your thing, you can bounce between bars in the Crescent Avenue area of Midtown. I like Eleven50 (it was mostly trance music the last time I went), but other popular bars (that were open the last time I went, about a year ago) are Cosmopolitan Lounge, Lavaa, Sutra, Leopard Lounge, Tangier. Clubs come and go there so you'd have to wander around to get a feel - it's all about a 2 block radius.

If you're interested in hanging out with yuppies mingling with punk rockers, hippies, and bikers, Little Five Points is a great area, and you should check out the Brewhouse for drinks and grub and the Star Bar for music. The Euclid Yacht Club is a good place for darts and beer as well and burger joint The Vortex can't be missed.

For live music, I like Smith's Olde Bar (it also has pool tables and dart boards), Ten High (which is located over Dark Horse in the Virginia Highland area), Eddie's Attic, Blind Willie's (for blues), or Star Bar or the Variety Playhouse.

Two other really hip laid-back areas are East Atlanta, which is centered around the neighborood bar The EARL (great burgers), and Oakhurst, which is anchored by the Universal Joint.

I think the places I've listed are more to my tastes, except where otherwise noted, but if you are looking for a different scene, let me know and I may have more ideas.