We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Atlanta to the UK --- Best WAY?

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
The South (of the...
Level Contributor
463 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Atlanta to the UK --- Best WAY?

Want a NON Stopper to UK ---

Where best to fly into for best deals?

Can anyone provide any more advice on the best deals betw Hotlanta & UK????

thanks!!!!!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Atlanta to the UK --- Best WAY?

Google clarkhoward.com. He's our local travel guru, amongst other things. I found a round trip fare on Northwest Airlines to Atlanta to London (or to Birmingham or Manchester) for $188 from now until Mar. 31 with a 7 day advance purchase required. It costs me that much to commute for a week in and out of Atlanta.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Atlanta to the UK --- Best WAY?

Check Clark Howard's Web site for good travel deals. His radio show does travel exclusively on Friday afternoons, I think.

British Airways tends to run good deals from time to time. They fly into Heathrow most of the time. Delta, as I recall, usually flies into Gatwick. Both of these are London airports.

Once in a while, you can get a better deal flying into Manchester than London. But if London was your aim, you'd still have to take a train or rent a car to get there from Manchester.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,321 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Atlanta to the UK --- Best WAY?

Last month I flew Delta directly to/from London Gatwick and was very pleased with the flight. They're flying the new 767s and the plane was enormous and far more spacious than the past couple of trans-Atlantic flights I've taken on Delta. Even the people in the aisl seats could stand without heads bumping the overhead bins, and the seats feature personal on-board entertainment. In addition, I always try to support the Atlanta-based carrier when possible, although I do shop primarily by price. I think Delta's running some really good one-way fares right now, so you should really check its website.

You didn't say where in the UK you want to go. Delta has also opened up a non-stop to Edinburgh, whichis lovely.

If you're looking to fly with a local carrier once in the UK all of the major ones depart from most airports - LGW, LHR and Stanstead.

Atlanta
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying Atlanta to the UK --- Best WAY?

As an Englishman who lives in Atlanta but frequently flies to London through work, there are two direct flights from Atlanta to London-Gatwick - run by Delta and British Airways. Both take similar times though BA only has one flight in, and one flight out, per day, i.e. 7 per week in total. Delta has more choice. I have flown with other airlines like Continental, Nort West and US Airways but they all entail changing planes, at various cities. London's Gatwick airport is situated about 27 miles south of the city but is well-connected by road, coach and two rail lines. It's a big airport but probably not so intimidating as Heathrow. Heathrow is around 15 miles to the west of London and it, too, is well-connected to the centre of London by subway, coach, car, cab, rail. You can, as someone else posted, fly to one of the provincial cities like Manchester. Then you would have to get from there to London, assuming you wanted to be based in London. Distances within the UK are shorter but probably don't take the reduced amount of time it should to get from A to B. For example, when I'm in London, I'm based in the center and it takes between 1hr and l.5hrs to drive from here to the outskirts, even before I really set off anywhere! I hope this sheds some light for you!