We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cnange of plan - now at four seasons

england
Level Contributor
306 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
cnange of plan - now at four seasons

Having taken on board all the helpful advice, my husband has moved our hotel so he will travel a little further for business and we will no longer stay at the airport but at the Four Seasons as our travel agent gets a great deal with them and I will be more central to explore.

I would therefore like suggestions of nice restaurants with good atmosphere and great food within walking distance or easy taxi from the Four Seasons. Can be casual or pricey.

Is it still best to use MARTA to get to shopping areas with Macys or take a cab?

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,158 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cnange of plan - now at four seasons

Four Seasons is an excellent choice. There are several good restaurants in the area, plus the High Museum of Art and Woodruff Arts Center (home of the Atlanta Symphony) are within easy walking distance. Don't miss the reproduction of the antique train in the window of the Norfolk Southern RR building on the corner.

You are closer to Lenox, but it's still a pretty god cab ride and outside of a flat rate zone, so it will cost a bit. The Arts Center MARTA station is behind Woodruff and that is only about a 10 minute train ride to Lenox.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,705 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cnange of plan - now at four seasons

I would take MARTA to Lenox, and then play it by ear, based on how many packages you have, as to whether you need to take a taxi back to the hotel. There is a taxi stand at Lenox Square, so you will not have any trouble getting a cab.

Regarding shopping, where you go depends a lot on what you're looking for, obviously. I'd recommend looking at the Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza websites to make sure that's what you're after. They're both amazing malls, but do have the typical chain stores and designer stores that you can find all over. Lenox has an enormous Macy's. If that's what you're looking for, you'll be in heaven. But, if you're more interested in smaller boutiques, you may want to do a little more investigation. There are many, many in Buckhead, most of which would require a taxi or bucride.com to reach. It would probably help to have a game plan in place before you set out. There are also great boutiques in midtown, downtown Decatur, and Virginia-Highland. If you're looking for home decor items, the hottest spot in town is the Westside Provisions/White Provisions area. The shops in that area are all within walking distance, and there are a number of good dining choices there too. It would require a short cab ride from your hotel, but is a really fun area.

Re: restaurants, closest to your hotel, my top picks are Ecco, Empire State South and Tamarind Seed. There are tons of restaurants in that area, but those are my favorites. I'd recommended Woodfire Grill, Miller Union, Serpas, 4th and Swift, Ecco, Empire State South, Cakes & Ale, No. 246, Bones and Kevin Rathbun Steak in your earlier thread, and I would keep those on the list. They're not all accessible by MARTA, but definitely merit a cab ride. If you are interested in trying more traditional southern food, my favorites are Empire State South and JCT Kitchen.

yelp.com is a great resource for restaurant reviews by "civilians" and for professional restaurant critiques, I'd suggest:

creativeloafing.com

ajc.com

www.atlantamagazine.com

england
Level Contributor
306 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cnange of plan - now at four seasons

very helpful I will now spend time browsing your suggestions. One final question is the best place to buy a MARTA multi day pass at the Arts station near the hotel or can hotels actually issue them?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,705 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cnange of plan - now at four seasons

I would be surprised if the hotel sold MARTA passes, but they're easy to buy at the station. Each station has a number of automated machines that take cash or debit/credit cards and are very straightforward. Most stations do not have attended ticket booths so if you need info that you don't see on the website, it would be a good idea to ask here, at your hotel, or at the attended booth at the airport.

Bahrain
Level Contributor
61 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cnange of plan - now at four seasons

If you are after a large department store and it doesn't have to be Macy's-- Atlantic Station has a Dillards and you could walk to it from your hotel (if you like walking) or there is a shuttle from the ARTS metro station (closest one to you) to the Atlantic Station-- it is like an out door mall-- there is a Dillards, all the "normal" shops you would find at a mall, restaurants (I like the Mexican one, but forget the name) and a movie theater.

Decatur is a great area as well, it has independant stores-- clothes, art, interesting crafts, jewlery-- check out Mingei world arts-- they import things from all over the world and always have something new to see. AND the restaurants are fantastic. You can easily get to Decatur on Marta. I find that people are even friendlier here than in other parts of already friendly Atlanta.

If you have a smart phone, download a couple of apps-- Scoutmob (50% off coupons for restaurants and more-- I have discovered so many neat places this way, and you don't have to buy a coupon to get the deal, just show the waitress the app on your phone) Yelp-- reviews on everything.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,158 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cnange of plan - now at four seasons

It's a long walk from Four Seasons to Atlantic Station. But, the hotel may be able to take you there.

england
Level Contributor
306 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cnange of plan - now at four seasons

Thanks for that. I love walking everywhere where poss. Will look at the places you suggested and will download apps.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: cnange of plan - now at four seasons

Great update, you will love the Midtown area.

The Four Seasons is also close to the Midtown MARTA station. Enter beside the back entrance to the Federal Reserve and you won't have to cross any big roads.

Tamarind Seed, yum.

There is also Table 1280 at the High Museum if you are walking up to see that. There are a couple of art pieces outside so you can see them, have lunch, then zoom on up to Macy's.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: cnange of plan - now at four seasons

You buy MARTA tickets at the stations, but that includes the station that is in the airport.

Or conceivably the organizers of your husband's meeting may buy and distribute them.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: cnange of plan - now at four seasons

Sorry, apparently my attention span is not adequate tonight.

OpenTable is an app for restaurant reservations. Tamarind Seed is no longer participating but most good places are. You can see where there are openings in the neighbourhood.

Yelp is another app that helps find restaurants and posts user reviews.