We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlanta to Savannah driving ??

california
Level Contributor
517 posts
Save Topic
Atlanta to Savannah driving ??

Hi

My husband and I are planning a trip to visit Hilton Head, SC and Charleston. THe chapest flights are from Southern California direct into Atlanta. Then I would need to make the drive - I think about 4 hours- into Hilton Head... Just wondered what the drive is like, and if there are historic places we might enjoy seeing along the way. Just not sure the savings is worth adding an extra day and the drive. If I did the Atlanta option, we would probably just return from Charlston, so as not to make the drive twice.

Thanks for any help

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Charleston
Charleston
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,779 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlanta to Savannah driving ??

If you fly into one airport and out of another then you need to check the one way car rental prices- they can be very expensive.

If you fly into Atlanta then you can drive out I 20 past Augusta (home of the Masters) to Columbia, SC then take I 26 to Charleston- it will take about 5 1/2 hours. From Charleston it is about an hour to HHI and about 2 hours from Charleston to Savannah. The drive back from Savannah to the airport in Atlanta is only about 4 hours.

Have you checked Southwest? They fly from multiple southern California airports into Charleston and round trip is usually around $400 round trip.

If you don't want to drive or incur the one way car rental fees then check out Southwest flights.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Augusta
Augusta
Georgia
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
Charleston
Charleston
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlanta to Savannah driving ??

I would fly to Charleston. You will change planes in Atlanta most likely. You will get better rates flying into and out of Charleston rather than to Atlanta and out of Charleston. There's not much between Atlanta and Charleston IMO. Fly to Charleston and rent a car there. Book a late afternoon return flight to CA from Charleston so you will have time to drive from HH and return the rental car. Charleston is a great city. Spend a night or two there. Enjoy your visit.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlanta to Savannah driving ??

you might reconsider going to Savannah vs HH?Charleston--its a great city,and youd save youreself a few hours drive--I personnal prefer Savannah, to me more of a walkable very historic city, and if you want the ebach Tybee island is right there--if you could id visit all 3 thats what id do--- agree that the drive is boring

PS just ceked flights on Kayak.com--its 150-200 bucks cheaper flying to Atl and driving than going from LA to Charleston

Edited: 24 February 2012, 18:08
Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Charleston
Charleston
Tybee Island
Tybee Island
Georgia Coast, GA
Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlanta to Savannah driving ??

The Atlanta to Savannah drive is boring. Plenty of pine trees to see. I assumed that you already checked into the cost of flying into Savannah. You may want to check the cost of flyinf into Charleston as mentioned above. I would recommend that you look into flying into Jacksonville FLordia. The flights into and out of Jacksonville are usually much cheaper than Savannah. Also the drive form the Jax airport up I-95 to where the Savannah airport is only about 1.5 to 2 hours. From Jax to Hilton Head is only 2 to 2.5 hourss.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Charleston
Charleston
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlanta to Savannah driving ??

I agree with looking into Jax rates. There's nothing wrong with the drive from Atlanta to Savannah, but it is pretty boring. My favorite place to stop is Juliette GA where they filmed Fried Green Tomatoes. If you liked the movie you could stop for lunch at the Whistle Stop Cafe. Macon has some beautiful antebellum homes. That's about it between Atlanta and Savannah - unless you want to take the I20 route over to Madison, drive around and then head south to 16 from there. 441 is 4lane most of the time between Madison and Dublin and is a fairly pretty drive. If you go that route, you could stop in Social Circle at the Blue Willow for their southern cooking buffet - which is very good.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Whistle Stop Cafe
Whistle Stop Cafe
402 Reviews
Juliette, GA
Macon
Macon
Georgia
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
london
Level Contributor
85 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atlanta to Savannah driving ??

I agree with onemoreroad,

the drive from Atlanta to HH is very boring but restfull and easy.

If you want a stop for food/drink you need to do it before you leave Macon

as after Macon there is parctically nothing untill Savannah.

Its a sleepy drive after you leave Atlanta.

Be carefull with speed as we saw unmarked cars stopping fast drivers.

The drive via Augusta is longer and also boring.

Its about 4 hours with a short stop

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Macon
Macon
Georgia
Augusta
Augusta
Georgia
Brunswick, Georgia
Level Contributor
172 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atlanta to Savannah driving ??

There is plenty to eat and drink between Macon and Savannah. Granted, they are the typical interstate chain restaurants. Both Dublin and Metter are good stops.

Having said that, I make that drive a lot and it is pretty dull

Mentioned in this post
Macon
Macon
Georgia
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
8. Re: Atlanta to Savannah driving ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 23:43