We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant with slightly old-fashioned menu

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
564 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant with slightly old-fashioned menu

Hi all - I'm putting in a request on behalf of my parents. They are looking for a restaurant to celebrate their anniversary but can't find one with a menu that isn't too offbeat for them. All of my local favorites, including Floataway Cafe, Ecco and Kyma, have been deemed "funky." :-) Just as a point of reference, they used to really like places like Dailey's, the Pleasant Peasant and City Grill before they closed.

Can anyone suggest a restaurant that's suitable for a special occasion but has kind of a traditional menu? They are seeing a show at the Fox so that part of town would be preferable, but anywhere reasonably close is fine.

Thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,052 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant with slightly old-fashioned menu

We like Ray's on the River but it is out off I 285 and not downtown near the Fox. We also like Bones which is on Piedmont.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,544 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant with slightly old-fashioned menu

Ted's Montana Grill comes to mind. http://www.tedsmontanagrill.com/

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,430 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant with slightly old-fashioned menu

How about La Grotta in Buckhead?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant with slightly old-fashioned menu

How about Buckhead Diner?

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant with slightly old-fashioned menu

Maureen, who owned the Pleasant Peasant, moved to the Centennial Park area and the new restaurant is now called the Peasant Bistro.

http://www.peasantatl.com/

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
564 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant with slightly old-fashioned menu

Wow, thanks, onemoreroad! I bet they'll be thrilled to hear that. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions - all good ones.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,114 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant with slightly old-fashioned menu

theyd probably love Alfredos on Chesire bridge--they havent chnaged their menu in forevevr--great Italian food,and wont bankrupt you--if its a weekend youll need a res.BTW i was looking for places this weekend that had more normal meals too, we went to Veni Vidi Vici and it was excellent--

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
564 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant with slightly old-fashioned menu

Thanks! I always forget about Alfredo's. I suggested Veni Vidi Vici to them too. They did really like the La Grotta idea...maybe they'll end up there.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant with slightly old-fashioned menu

LaGrotta is still doing their fabulous Stimulus Menu on weekdays. Appetizer, entree and wine for about $25. The food is as incredible as the service.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant with slightly old-fashioned menu

I may be misunderstanding your question, but if by "old fashion" you mean traditional southern food, then Mary Mac's Tea Room would be the place to go, and it is just a couple of blocks from the Fox. If you meant more traditional fancy restaurant that serves traditional food, then the choices you have been provided are great ones.