We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What part of town

Charlotte, North...
4 posts
Save Topic
What part of town

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to ATL over Memorial Weekend. We want to do the aquarium and the Bodies exhibit downtown, chill at a hotel pool, go out at night, eat well. What part of town should we stay in for an easy commute to all we want to do? We will have a car, but don't really want to deal with the hassle of driving. I've heard Downtown was dead at night? And does Buckhead have more to offer than high end shopping (can't drag my boyfriend to that on OUR vacation!). :)

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,417 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What part of town

Midtown

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
32 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What part of town

I would say stay in Midtown which is where the aquarium and bodies exhibit is. This is a good site to get some ideas: http://www.atlanta.net/. With it being a holiday weekend hotel rates may be on the high side.

I went to the Bodies exhibit about 2 years ago and it was at Atlantic Station. It's a nice place to go at night for drinks and dinner quite a few restaurants. If you like drive in/greasy food don't forget to stop into the Varsity before you leave!

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What part of town

Read the sticky notes to your right on the subject. Perimeter and midtown are your best options

georgia
Level Contributor
490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What part of town

W hotel Midtown sounds about what you prefer..great chic pool to hang out by with poolside bar, near some great restaurants, you can use the hotel's acura service to take you to the aquarium and atlantic station where the bodies exhibit is, and take a cab back to the hotel..you are also close to the fox theatre, the Jersey Boys will be there memorial day weekend, if that interests you.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,598 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What part of town

I would say Buckhead or midtown, for the reasons set out int he stickies on the right.

Not a fan of Atlantic Station, since Atlanta has so many charming, unique neighborhoods like Virginia Highland, downtown Decatur, Little Five Points.

Charlotte, North...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What part of town

Thank you all for your comments! I found a good deal on the Mansion on Peachtree ($153 a night for 3 nights) in Buckhead and will be staying there. If you have any suggestions for must sees in Buckhead let me know.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,598 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What part of town

That's a great deal. I'd still head to midtown and "intown" neighborhoods for dining, as Buckhead restaurants tends towards the traditional, large, stuffy, and formal side, but there are still some good Buckhead options if you choose to dine in that area. What type of cuisine/price range/atmosphere are you looking for?

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What part of town

But, then again, Buckhead shopping is the center of the Atlanta universe. You did get a good deal, though.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,417 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What part of town

That is a steal! There was a recent announcement that it will be converting to a Mandarin Oriental. I have a wealthy friend from NYC who stays there everytime he's in Atlanta. VERY nice choice and price!

10. Re: What part of town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 09:17