We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown Atlanta

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown Atlanta

I hope no one minds that I don't have a question but rather a comment. I just returned today from a long weekend in Atlanta with my 14 year old son. After reading some of the comments about the downtown area, where we were staying, I was a little concerned about our safety. I have to say, I did not really need to be concerned. While we did not venture out of our hotel really late in the evening, we traveled the area using the Marta train and bus. We had a wonderful time and everyone was happy to help if we got turned around. I can't say enough about how welcoming and helpful everyone was from the Marta staff, restaurants and hotel staff. We had a wonderful time at the zoo, coca-cola and especially the aquarium! We look forward to returning!

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,968 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown Atlanta

That's great news! Thanks for sharing!

I think sometimes the negative comments are from people who haven't been downtown in years. I know some who would never use MARTA. I cringe when I read the negative comments because their image just isn't the way things are nowadays. Atlanta has worked hard to improve things downtown and make it a place visitors enjoy. It won't be as vibrant as Midtown has become until more people live there, but it's still a great place to be. Glad you shared your impressions as a woman traveling with a son. That speaks volumes.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown Atlanta

Some people, most of whom have never really been there, are very retentive about the downtown area. Atlanta is no different from any other large city. Just use common sense and be aware of your surroundings.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,395 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown Atlanta

Thanks for the nice comments. So glad you had a great visit.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,682 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown Atlanta

Glad you enjoyed it. My reservations about downtown are more about perception (some people freak at the sight of a homeless person) and about the dearth of restaurants, nightlife and shopping. I don't avoid it for safety reasons, and think it's quite convenient if the purpose of your trip is to visit the World of Coke, CNN, Aquarium, etc.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,968 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown Atlanta

I agree with JAtlanta. Someone recently posted that they changed their route on MARTA because they saw a homeless person outside one stop. Every city has homeless people and they don't pose a threat. If you are approached for money, just shake your head "no".

Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown Atlanta

This speaks volumes to me! I'm planning to stay at the Days Inn Downtown in October--won't be out at night, so figure being downtown in a reasonably

priced hotel would be a good bet.

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown Atlanta

I'd seen a few negative comments about downtown and had started to worry as we are staying in the Marriott Marquis in September. So glad to see your comment. I do know that some people over react to normal city life so i have kept telling myself that all will be fine. Glad you had such a great time.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,968 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown Atlanta

Mellie, because you are staying in the MM you can move around downtown via the skybridges that connect Peachtree Center (and the food court) to the main downtown hotels. It's a great way to move around downtown in rain or at night. The MARTA station is right there too.

USA
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtown Atlanta

I'm not really scared in downtown anymore, but you do need to be alert to petty theft as you would in any big city.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Downtown Atlanta

glad our advice helped make it a pleasant,safe trip--come back when winter sets in in Syracuse

Get answers to your questions about Atlanta