We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago or Atlanta at christmas?

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Chicago or Atlanta at christmas?

Hi. We are from England and over the last 3 years have 'done' a 4 night trip to a city at christmas. We have done New york, Phillidelphia, and Boston and loved each one for different reasons.

We are undecided on Atlanta or Chicago for this year and would welcome your thoughts. We know Chicago will be colder, but thats ok.

We love to walk every where, see sights, buildings, lights and of course Macys.

Thanks

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago or Atlanta at christmas?

Chicago. But have you considered Santa Fe, NM? Much different from a big city destination but magical at Christmas.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,117 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago or Atlanta at christmas?

Not too much special in Atlanta at Christmas.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,685 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago or Atlanta at christmas?

I prefer Chicago, but take into account that it was be FREEZING. You might think about Los Angeles or San Francisco, which would be warmer.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
575 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago or Atlanta at christmas?

Much as I love my hometown of Atlanta, at Christmastime Chicago wins, hands down. I was there this past December, and yes, it was cold, but it really wasn't unbearable. I bundled up from head to toe, walked the 30 minutes from my hotel to the Art Institute, and was absolutely fine.

Chicago is beautiful with all of the Christmas lights and decorations up, especially at nighttime. If there's snow, it will have a winter wonderland feel. You can watch ice skaters glide around the outdoor rink that's right next to Millennium Park.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicago or Atlanta at christmas?

Chicago can be bitterly cold, like below zero F,which is like -25C, and windy.If i have a choice of any city in the US id pick San Franciso--ive travelled a whole lot, like 3 million miles in my carrer, and in the US its still a fav of mine,next to NY where i was born and raised..Nothing special about Atl,esp that time of year,unless you play golf

georgia
Level Contributor
490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicago or Atlanta at christmas?

Yes, Chicago this year and next year you can do San Francisco...Go to the Girl and The Goat in Chi-town for great food and The Violet Hour for Great Cocktails...also check out the Mag Mile, the Macy's there is one of the best in the country, has great architecture.

7. Re: Chicago or Atlanta at christmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Atlanta