We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need a few (cheap) suggestions for our weekend!

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
I need a few (cheap) suggestions for our weekend!

My daughter has a volleyball tournament in Atlanta coming up. We will be there from Friday to Monday and are staying at the Hampton Inn downtown. We will be in games on Saturday and Sunday, but should have some free time here and there. Since we have never stayed in the center of any large city, I would like to let my daughter experience some of the unique things a large city like Atlanta has to offer (keep in mind we have VERY limited time). My one MUST is to ride the Marta. Any suggestions on where we could take it for a short, but fun and safe trip? I would also LOVE to get suggestions of cool, CHEAP things we could walk to (shops or outdoor markets??) and places we might want to eat. I thought we MIGHT want to eat at The Varsity, since my mother always says it is one place you have to eat at least once in Atlanta! I've eaten there and didn't really care for it, but she has it ingrained in my mind that all kids should experience it once in their lifetime! t guess I would just like your top 3-5 cheap and quick things to experience when in downtown Atlanta. THANKS in advance for any advice you give!!!

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,431 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need a few (cheap) suggestions for our weekend!

There are guided tours of the Fox Theatre at 10 and 11 on Saturday that last about an hour and a half. It's one block from the Varsity. $ 5 for your daughter, $10 for you.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need a few (cheap) suggestions for our weekend!

Visit Piedmont Park free! For restaurant suggestions, check out the Top Questions on the right.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
11,338 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I need a few (cheap) suggestions for our weekend!

Also at Piedmont Park on Saturday mornings is a great farmer's market with all sorts of goodies. Then walk around the park a bit. There are a few restaurants at the park's perimeter that are good too if you want recommendations. Look for "midtown" restaurant suggestions.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
11,338 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I need a few (cheap) suggestions for our weekend!

The market reopens in May. I thought it might be a bit earlier because another one of my favorite markets open this weekend. piedmontpark.org/programs/green_market.html

In addition to the Varsity, other Atlanta classics include Krispy Kreme donuts (watch them roll through the assembly line) and Mary Mac's Tea Room. It's a short walk from the Fox - but you have to walk back UP the hill. If she's there for volleyball it shouldn't be a problem.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
561 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I need a few (cheap) suggestions for our weekend!

Browse the Sweet Auburn Curb Market (www.sweetauburncurbmarket.com/index.html), or visit Oakland Cemetery (http://oaklandcemetery.com/).

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I need a few (cheap) suggestions for our weekend!

atlanta.net/visitors/seedo/freeAtlanta.html

that link is to a list of "free" things to do. Big City things to do:

1. Museums, some are cheap, some are not.

2. Go to the Westin Peachtree downtown and take the elevator up to the observation area, you get great views and pictures of the city. They used to let you go for free if you bought some food/drink in the sundial restaurant, but not sure if that is still the case, but surely they do not charge too much.

3. Lenox Mall/Phipps Plaza have unique stores that are not typical mall stores.

4. Pick a unique style of restaurant that is not available at home -- for instance Ru Sans serves all the sushi you can eat for $10.00pp, you can sample all kinds of different sushis, instead of just ordering your typical california roll. If sushi is not your thing, we have every other cuisine under the sun, somewhere between Buford Hwy/I-285 and downtown. You might enjoy Dantes down the hatch (fondue).

5. See a show. We have several "play houses/theaters" that may be cheaper than seeing a big show at the Fox, but a show at the Fox is a great thing to do. That same link above also is a link to all activities that are going on in Atlanta. You can plug in your dates and see what is going on. She is into sports, how about a hawks or braves game ? There are nose-bleed seats at both that are reasonable.

6. Finally, depending on your dates of travel, the Laser Show at Stone Mountain park is a great thing to do (not big city, but cool), is late at night (sundown), and is cheap (they charge a per vehicle charge to get in the park). Get there early, do a pic-nic on the lawn for dinner, and enjoy the show.

7. If you want to go into the way-back machine, the Starlight Drive-in is a drive-in theatre that typically gives you two movies for the price of one. It is in a sketchy area of town, so do not stop for any reason in that area, but it is cheap, nighttime fun, that I am sure your daughter has not experienced. It is near Moreland Ave and I-285 (south of Atlanta).

8. There is always Six Flags amusement park. You can go into any Taco Bell right now and get a $20.00 off coupon for one day through 4/29, and $10 off for days after that.

Edited: 18 April 2012, 14:58
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,431 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I need a few (cheap) suggestions for our weekend!

I see that the Margaret Mitchell House is free this weekend.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I need a few (cheap) suggestions for our weekend!

Thanks for all of the great suggestions! I have a lot options now and I will start narrowing down from here.:)

Atlanta
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I need a few (cheap) suggestions for our weekend!

If you are here the weekend of 4/28, I'd suggest the Inman Park Festival.

http://inmanparkfestival.org/

http://littlefivepoints.net/

itsmarta.com (there is a trip planner on here-you'd want Edgewood Station on Dekalb Ave.)

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
11,338 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I need a few (cheap) suggestions for our weekend!

Without a car I'm not sure how you'd do the drive-in...or Six Flags or the laser show at Stone Mountain (getting back after the show?)